The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
JoeKramer

New guy! - Brakes?

Hey guys I am new here and I just bought my first chevy truck.
I got a 1968 C20. Its running a modified 307 with 350 heads into an automatic (350 or 400? don't know). Been told its got 4.11 gears in the rear, I bet it does as it really has high RPMs doing 55mph. LOL

One thing...

It has 4 wheel drums with no power brakes. I literaly have to stand on them to get the truck to stop. I almost rear ended someone because I COULDN'T stop!
Is this how its supposed to be? I have had drums up front without power brakes before and have never had to stand on them. I need to replace the master as its leaking past the valve.
So should I look into getting a '73-'80 donor for the front or should I get a power booster and new master? I am really broke and I would like to keep this truck on the road right now.

I will toss a few pictures of the beasty up tonight. Cab is rusty...
JoeKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: New guy! - Brakes?

I have drums on my half ton 68 GMC and have absolutely no problems stopping. I had installed a booster on it a few years ago and decided it was too grabby. Locked the rear wheels real easy so I took it off.

First thing I would check is to make sure your brake shoes are not glazed over and that your rubber brake hoses are not collapsed internally. Happens a lot on these old trucks if they haven't been changed.

It's possible your master cylinder could be defective and only the rear brakes are trying to stop the truck. I'd check that out also.

Make sure you have good quality brake shoes. Some of them literally suck!

After all that, if they still don't work right, then it's junkyard time and try to find a power brake system for your truck.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Most of these older trucks that I've driven with manual 4 wheel drum brakes have been notoriously under braked.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
JoeKramer

Well I will try and get it in my shop and put it up to take a look at the brakes.

Just in case I want to put a booster on, are the master cylinders the same (booster to manual). If I buy a new master and it doesn't help I don't want to have wasted $$$.
JoeKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
jwmdnm

I had similar problems with my '67 and did a brake job myself (for first time) and am please with the results.

In my opinion, if you pull the hubs off, have them turned and install new brake shoes/springs/etc., and adjust everything so that it all works together as designed, the truck will stop well enough except for the most aggressive driver (my wife).

Installing new brake shoes/springs etc. is not a bad job but would advise doing just one side at a time so that you can walk to its mate to see how all the springs/adjusters/brake cylinder fit together.

Good Luck!

Jim
jwmdnm is offline   Reply With Quote