The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ill never finish a ride =(

I dunno how many of you are like me...I just love old cars and trucks. I dont have a favorite, there are some I don't care for, just not many lol.

I get something and make big plans, then somewhere along the way *pop* something very cool (in my mind anyway) shows up that I just have to have.

I wont go into all the stuff thats been in and out of my hands since I joined this board...you would just shake your head lol.

Here is where Im at right now. I have my 71 K20, its a keeper, I swear...probably. I just traded my 71 K10 for a 1941 Cadillac sedanette. It has the potential to be a very cool car. I finally got my 69 panel back from 2.5 years of body and paint purgatory and now for some reason Im not motivated to put it all together Some of you know I have a 58 Ford wagon Ive been trying to sell...with no luck. A guy recently offered to trade me straight up for a 51 Chev panel truck...the shorter half ton version...I love those things. Several months back I got a call from my ex bro inlaw. He wanted to know if I was interested in his dads 56 Cadillac Sedan Deville (two door hard top). The price was way to high in my estimation. Its a project with new, but ugly paint, rebuilt motor and trans. It just needs to be assembled. When you look at all the pieces its not going to be a simple task...Anyway he called me yesterday and offered it to me at a VERY fair price....gah, Im so tempted.

Every time I try to get down to one or two rides they come flooding in.

Hi, my name's Mark, Im an old car JUNKIE.

This should probably be in the general area, Sorry mods for a misposting
Attached Images

Last edited by CG; 04-15-2009 at 12:23 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: Ill never finish a ride =(

You can never have too many start this one when you lose interest go back to the panel
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My dad has the same problem. In all the years he's been buying cars/trucks he's only ever finished two. A red 68 firebird he sold for a down payment for our house around 1984/85 and a white 67 firebird he finished around 1988-ish, drove for a couple years, and has been sitting ever since. He has so many projects...

PASS on it man, just pass on it....
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 04-15-2009 at 12:40 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
spinning wheels

Brother I feel you pain. But in the eyes of a junkaholic like myself, you still have some hope.

Some say its a fear of finishing one project. As long as you don't finish it, you don't have the excuse that it didn't turn out right. So before you finish one project, you get yourself into another project that may never be finished.
Hey, I didn't make up the rules of this sickness, I just live in it.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Skirkpat

lots of good deals, only one lifetime....I know I got most people beat on shear #'s of projects, and I have finished a few of them, They always get sold or traded, I have a short attention span. Sounds like you do too. I decided to finish what I have before I look for anything else...thats why I spend an hour a night on Craigslist, and drove 8 hours to pick up another Suburban this weekend.....First step is addmiting you have a problem, second step is figuring out new "storys" to tell your wife LOL...I dont love "a" car...I love cars. and I enjoy chasing them more than owning them...Take a breather, buy the Caddi if it makes you happy, and enjoy your life, you only get one...I think??
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
mr48chev

Boy howdy, good thing I don't have a lot of extra cash right now or I'd be hollering for you to let me buy that Coupe Deville.

I'll agree that it would have to have a color change before going back together though.

I'm another member of the more projects than good sense allows.
48 chev pu
71GMC Pu
28 Model A ??? with a 41 flathead
Boat tail speedster styled like an old 2 seat indy car
21 Ft sailboat that I have been working on for 6 years and have sailed a few times so far.
Plus and 88 Dodge conversion van and an 97 Dodge mini Ram Van that I haven't finished yet.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

I know how you feel. Moving this over to GD for you.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Thanks Dennis...Yeah you got a few projects yourself lol
Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
cdowns

i do that alot// i've always had the theory"everythings for sale" meet the price and they own it///the things i do finish go fast cause once done i really lose interest and am on to the next one
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

CG,

I don't know, I think guys that do most of there own work have that same problem. I know I do. I have been able to stay more focused in the last couple of years and finish a couple of nice trucks but I still have more projects than I will ever finish. I looked at another '67 yesterday..

A friend of mine said something a couple of years ago that I think is very true:
"It isn't what you find, it's the thrill of the hunt".

Like a lot of other people, I would give my left testicle for a panel truck like yours and probably wouldn't be able sleep until I got it on the road. I know you were disappointed in the way the body turned out and I'm sure that is part of the reason you have lost the motivation on it. My 2¢ worth then was to just put it together and drive it and that is still my thought today.

My favorite is the '57 Cadillac 2dr hardtop, and I have always wanted one, so I wouldn't have too much trouble passing on the '56 (unless it was really cheap)...

Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

It`s about the chase!And,the build if you`re lucky.People always ask,"Why would he sell that?" We all can`t build a warehouse for our stuff and our pockets just aren`t that deep.A guy that buys turnkey or "has" the car done has to at least pay the interest off on the credit card before selling.;D
I hear people all the time telling me what I already know,"You`d have one hella nice ride if it was the only one you had"...that`s a big IF.Or, "You could be done faster if you only had one"...Done?What`s that?
Who could refuse a purple Coupe de Ville?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I guess if I had deep pockets it wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately I'm often teetering on the edge of where I should be financially.

I should be hanging out at that Dave guys (forgot his last name) website and getting my financial life together instead of playing with cars and trucks =)

Think Ill check out Craigs list before the boss gets in LOL
Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Skirkpat

Money will always be tight for people like us!! I already figured that one out, I used to lay awake at night with a Paddock catalog, dreaming of making more than $3.75/hr so I could fix up my 69 Camaro Convertible that I bought for 650.00 and daily drove (probably should have kept it)...I have made six figures plus in the auto industry(saw the industry failing and bailed out), now I am in literal poverty because I started my own Century 21 Real Estate Franchise 2 1/2 years ago (talk about bad timing!!!)

But I still am VERY happy, I answer to no one, I do things my way, and I get to do what I love wrench on old Chevy's....I could have bought ten nice cars 5 years ago (I actually probably did) but that would not have made me happy.....I go to car shows for Ideas, not to Covet other peoples rides, I am not envious at all of a finished vehicle, I can appreciate it, but I like mine a little rough. What maks me happy is hunting, and making a turd a little nicer. Sorry for the length, you just made me a little more appreciative of what I am lucky enough to have the skills and knowledge, and now the time to do.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
70rs/ss

I have had literally 100's of "project cars and trucks" over a 20 year span since I began with a 67 short stepper at 17. I have to date finished ZERO of them! I have my 70 Camaro from way back in the early 90's (the only one I have owned more than a few years!) and hope to finish it before they turn me to ashes, but I'll have a few hundred more others before that!!

I have ADD bad! I actually like building stuff for others, I use thier money, build it how I'd "like to build one if it were still mine" and then enjoy it for a while before the new owner comes for it, then the next one!! I sold my last 67-72 truck/blazer/burb, but have decided to pick up another 72 Burb, I hauled away two cars for free (99 Sunbird vert will be for my 16yo, and a 94 camaro V6 will be for my niece) along with my two 67 chevelle projects and my Camaro that makes 8 vehicles in my front yard/driveway/garage, and I have two more complete vehicles at the in-laws house along with enough piece to put together at least one whole 67-72 chevy truck!! Don't get me started on the Bikes (2 Harleys) and manny other "toys" guns, yes, please!? I am sick, I should get help, wait did you mention craigslist, I need to go there, BYE!!

Hello, my name is Mike and I may be a worse car addict than Mark!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 04-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
big_al_71

I have friends that are like that they buy fix it up and sell then you have me I build enjoy and it is for sale the minute it pulls off my driveway. I dont fall in love with anything material. I love the wheeling and dealing more than building anyday.
Go buy it cheap and flip it.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Nice to see I have friends to commiserate with LOL
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Sorry for the double post...site is acting weird and for some reason I cant delete this.

Last edited by CG; 04-15-2009 at 09:17 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

Check out ADHD! Discovered I had it at the ripe old age of 43. At least the awareness helps me understand why I get "off track". The medicine helps also!

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Check out ADHD! Discovered I had it at the ripe old age of 43. At least the awareness helps me understand why I get "off track". The medicine helps also!
HMMMM, spend what little money I have on meds or on more parts....... Lets see, I vote with spending more money on parts
Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
70rs/ss

I was 37 when I realized I was ADD. Yeah the knowledge helps as in the constant "impulse buying" and car collecting, but the meds are not really helping!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I was 37 when I realized I was ADD. Yeah the knowledge helps as in the constant "impulse buying" and car collecting, but the meds are not really helping!!
Huh? What? Did you say something? I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

Hell, if you have an impulse to buy something...... Take one of your bikes out for a two hour ride..... That usually clears my mind.

And when I mean ride... I'm not talking about the local watering hole.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Well it looks like the 56 Caddy will be coming home this weekend. No panel truck though. My friend decided he wants to keep it.

I still havent got the 41 Caddy home from oldirons place yet, but that should finally happen on Sunday.

Wonder what else is gonna follow me home?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
Skirkpat

Congrats!! Old Caddilacs make me feel like I did climbing the rope in Gym class!! Get a wide brim Fedora, and you can't help but "Be The Man" in one!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Personally I like the color on that Caddy. I had an S-10 that color. Tint the windows dark, drop in on the ground over some 20's, and make people call you Huggy Bear!

This thread is making me feel alot better about myself. I didn't realize there were so many of us with this affliction. When we had our own place over by Seattle, at last count I had 6 car and trucks that didn't run. When we moved here I got rid of all of them except my 70 Gmc which was running. Now we rent a nice place in Idaho, but our landlady starts to twitch if something is out of place. So in a way, she helps curb my habit. But it is SO difficult. Now I have my GMC torn apart in the garage, and I have my 70 K10. And a neighbor has a 4x4 K5 I think I could get really cheap. And I would love to have a Chevelle again. Oh! and a '72 Tahoe would be *****in! Now what I really would like, is a jacked up, 4 door K20 with a Cummins and a six speed. It would be fun to have a bug again, all sleepered out with a 2.0 type 4......................What were we talking about?

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD

Last edited by woodwright; 04-23-2009 at 10:51 PM.
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #25
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Now does the CG stand for Copy Guy or Caddy Guy?
And to just rub salt into the wound the 71 4x4 got the right side rocker panel installed and the left should be done tomorrow. Then the kick panels should be done by Monday.

Last edited by oldiron; 04-24-2009 at 01:01 AM.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote