The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
dion
72 Cheyenne

Starting problems

Here's what it's doing, I start it and it dies, I try again and it won't start at all, I keep trying and then it won't even turn over, just clicks. I give it 10 mins or so and it starts but very rough at first and then smooths out. I'm guessing it's flooding but why would it not even turn over and then later start right up? Even when it does start right up it's rough at first. The carb is a Holley 750 E Choke fresh rebuilt and fresh rebuilt HEI, any ideas? Thanks.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:13 PM   #2
Piston
Account Suspended

Could be a low voltage problem. Battery terminals or starter connections? The fact that it clicks only after cranking a few times, then cranks again after sitting indicates either a low voltage problem (connections) or high current draw (starter). The running part may or may not be related.
Does it do this after running for a while? or is this a first thing in the morning type of problem?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:20 PM   #3
dion
72 Cheyenne

It's done it after it was running for a while. The starter, battery and 100 amp alt are all new.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
Piston
Account Suspended

If it does it after running, first thing I would recommend is having a starting/charging test done. Find out what the peak amps are while starting. Bad starters will draw too many amps when hot but seem to be ok when cold. A quick test will show that problem.
Be sure to check the connections( battery cables ) though. Grounds grounds grounds!
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 09:26 AM   #5
Huck

I agree with piston!! If it wouldn't turn over when it's been running a while, it is definitely not the carb or the ignition/distrib, it's in the cranking circuit. Sounds like a classic chevy starter / solonid problem. New or not new!! The only change is circumstance is heat related?? Maybe?? would pull that starter and bring it to a place for checking out---problem is that it may only show it's self when hot. Grounds are also key especially the neg to the block, the block to the firewall, the neg to the rad support!! Are your bat cables in great condition---no corrosion under the insulation? Keep us advised and good luck---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote