The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
LARSEN

Converting to disc brakes

I bought a 1970 Chevy 4x4 ten years ago as a daily driver. The truck was involved in a rollover accident 4 years ago and now I have some time and money to work on the truck. I'm kinda new to the retoration game, I did help my dad restore a 1976 Jeep CJ-7 about 12 years ago. Other than that i'm new to the game. I joined the forum in hopes of gaining knowledge about these trucks and i'm sure I won't be disapointed. Now on to the reason for the post, I was wondering what is the best way to convert all four corners of my truck to disc brakes? thank you.
LARSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
ZombieWeinerDog

Re: Converting to disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARSEN View Post
I bought a 1970 Chevy 4x4 ten years ago as a daily driver. The truck was involved in a rollover accident 4 years ago and now I have some time and money to work on the truck. I'm kinda new to the retoration game, I did help my dad restore a 1976 Jeep CJ-7 about 12 years ago. Other than that i'm new to the game. I joined the forum in hopes of gaining knowledge about these trucks and i'm sure I won't be disapointed. Now on to the reason for the post, I was wondering what is the best way to convert all four corners of my truck to disc brakes? thank you.
go to LMC truck. i know they have have a conversion kit. it is pretty expensive though
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
tucnnuts
if they can make it so can I!

is the truck six or eight lug? what front axle does it have in it dana 60or 10 bolt? what rear axle does it have 12 bolt?
tucnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Sinisterspeed

I have found the Front axle will be cheaper to just change it out. Rear axle depends very much on what axle is in it. The 700.oo kit for the 14 bolt can be home made for under 300 bucks. it uses all 2wd chevy front end parts with a set of plates that bolt to your axle. The Dana 60 can be done the same way. However I have not done it on that axle personally so keep looking around. Try some of the 4x4 sites I'm sure someone is making those same backing plates that you could buy cheap (I had 10 sets made for my 14 bolt for 25 bucks a set) sold them to buddies. If you find someone that can make them or has a set to copy. Your in like flint! Other then that all the rest of the parts can be bought at the local Napa.

Your proportioning/residual valve will need to be changed also. You can use one from a 71 or newer truck for Disk/Drum but for Disk/Disk you will be looking at aftermarket for sure. Two residual valves will be about 25 ea and an adjustable Proportioning valve is about 50 bucks. If you need some links on these parts PM me and I would be happy to show you where to get them.

SSBC is a good source *Stainless Steel Brake Cooperation*

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
LARSEN

Thanks for the replies. The truck is a half ton it has 6 lugs. The front axle is a dana 44 the rear axle is a GM 12 bolt.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
tucnnuts
if they can make it so can I!

iam with speed on the front , just swap it out , ive got one if ya need it ..lol and far as the back the 12bolt in my truck i used late model tahoe rear rotors....and made the brakets..they sale the brackets i think...not sure if they do for that size rotor...i made mine and can send you a pattern maybe... the rotor will also need to be machined out...those kits are high ...i just know the cheaper way...lol
tucnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Sinisterspeed

Since its 6 lug. Might be easier to just pick up a mid 90s rear end and move 1 shock mount,

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
LARSEN

Thanks for the replies