The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

Always, always remain well-grounded

Just a tip most people probably already know. Took my '67 GMC 910 to the garage to have the charging system checked out. My voltmeter showed over 16 volts when the engine was running.

So, the mechanic ran the test, battery fine, starter fine, charging way too high. He thought the regulator might be bad. I looked up a new regulator (over $30), so, I took it home and took apart the regulator housing and everything inside is beautiful and clean which made me wonder. I got out the wire brush and cleaned up the bolt and the area where the bolt from the regulator attaches next the rad. Took the horn off and did the same thing to the bracket and bolt (it was acting up too). Lo and behold, the voltage is now 13-13.5 and the horn is loud and clear. This also eliminated the headlights flickering when driving down a bumpy road.

My windshield washer fluid bottle is cracked and drips. The regulator is right underneath. I think this is not the best place for the regulator!

Just some common sense but it took $20 to make me use it!

Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
weircc

Re: Always, always remain well-grounded

thanks for info learn something new everyday
weircc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

yep, this is why "check your grounds" is the most common response on the electrical forums. It's actually thrown out even when it isn't even a possible answer, but once you learn it like you did, it is the initial thought.
Now, if you want to take your new info and run with it, you can remove the grounds on the core support for the headlights, clean the core support and the wire, bolt it back up, run a wire from the battery negitive to the bolt on the passenger side headlight ground. Then check the neg battery cable where it bolts to the engine, clean and re-install... I like running a nice size wire (small battery cable) from the point where the battery cable is bolted to the engine, and then ground it to the frame... and then check that the cab and the bed are grounded to the frame.
Some will say this is overkill.... but I say there is no such thing. I do this to every truck I get, and after doing it, I have never had a single grounding issue.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Dark Knight

I agree with LHM. There is no such thing as having too many grounds. I've ALWAYS had problems with my driver's side brake light ever since I got the truck. Wanna know what the problem was? Yep, you guessed it. Bad ground. I've got a big bundle of grounding strap laying around. After my truck is painted, I'm grounding EVERYTHING to the frame.
-And a '66 Ford Mustang- 200 I6, C4 trans, rust bucket

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -FDR (and maybe rust too)

You've gotta be able to stop and steer before you can go fast!
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
71swb4x4

If you don't like where your regulator sits, install an internally regulated alternator. It's a very common swap, easy to do, and it gets rid of that ugly regulator on your core support.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

Originally, when I hit the horn while the engine was running, it sounded fine but when I tried it with the engine off, it let out a noise that sounded like Bambi crying. So, I took the horn off too and connected it to the battery charger and it still didn't sound very good. I then took it over to the grinder and removed surface rust and grime on the bracket and wirebrushed the connecter and then the horn sounded great running off the battery charger. Wirebrushed the bolt and area around the bolt and I can toot like the best of them.

The regulator working properly with the good ground was a celebration at my house! I may still get the new alternator. Having an issue with the alternator brackets on this 283 (nowhere to mount them other than where they are).

Thanks for the comments.

Current fleet:
2013 GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 4x4
1988 GMC Sierra, 305, Auto
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8
1997 VW Cabrio, 2.0L
2017 Toyota Rav4, 2.5L

Stuff I wish I still had:
2013 Toyota Matrix [RIP]
1967 GMC 910 Fleetside, 283 V8 [1st Love-SOLD]
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, 4.0 I-6 [SOLD}
1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 5.7LV8 [SOLD]
1995 Chevrolet Astro AWD, 4.3L V6 (RIP)
1998 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, 5.7L V8 [SOLD]
Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

The whole reason none of my turn signals worked right and the front marker lights came on with the brake lights? Bad grounds.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote