The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Saleenguy

Hello from a soon to be 67 GMC truck owner

Hi all, this is my first post.

I have had GMC products in the past, but for many years have driven blue ovals only.
Currently still do have the blue ovals, but wanted an older classic truck, or at least elcamino style vehicle.
Well I think I have found my new truck at last.
Its a black 2 wheel drive 1967 GMC half ton.
It has the regular style box, not a stepside, 327 V8 motor, recently rebuilt diff ( now with 3.42 gears) and 3 in the tree shift.

The body work was done by a garage about 13 years ago, and some of the bondo used is popping out, but in general the body is not too bad, and it will be a while until I do it.
The motor was rebuilt 53,000 miles ago.
The current owner has had it 16 years, and taken okay care of it really.
But it needs work.
The front end is totally worn out, the tierods are about to fall apart, and the balljoints are not much better.
Where is a good place to buy front end parts for this gem?

But the biggest issue is the tranny.
It SOMETIMES shifts from first to second....the linkage is really sloppy.
Also the tranny is leaking a lot of gear oil, and its hard to tell where from exactly.
Anyways I would like to swap the tranny for a 4 or 5 speed floor shift if possible.
I want to keep the truck as stock as possible, but fell it needs a new tranny if i really plan to drive it.
First gear is too tall, and third is not very tall on the HWY.

I have no idea what thetranny ratios are , but a lower first, and taller fourth or fifth would be great.
And something that shifts reliably to.
If possible can I keep the old clutch?

Also I do not plan to drive it hard, or build the motor up into a screamer, or worst of all let my teenage daughter ever drive it.
So the tranny does not need to be super strong, just able to hold the modest power the little 327 makes.

Lastly while it runs great, is there any special things i need to do to keep the old points style ignition happy.
I want to make the guy and offer and hopefully drivee it away next weekend if the tranny issue is solveable.

Thanks,

Marty
Saleenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
morgan71

Re: Hello from a soon to be 67 GMC truck owner

Early Classic Enterprises and Classic Performance both have front suspension and steering rebuild kits. But if you want longevity and good ole american products I would just go to NAPA and order MOOG products. Cost you more but will last. I have a TKO 3550 5 speed transmission in my 69 camaro. Low first gear, and .68 overdrive, best of both worlds. You can also get gear shifter placement suitable for your truck. Can use mechanical clutch linkage also. Or cheaper route would be a 2004r overdrive, still plenty strong, and less money, and parts to hunt down. Or you could throw a t5 tranny in it, not as strong but others have done it, if you drive it easy it would work. TKO would handle anything you throw at it . I havent had any problems with mine, but everything included it cost me about 2800$
morgan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Welcome to the board. Sounds like a decent truck from the description. A 5 speed might be the way to go but I think you would have to use an S-10 or Camaro if you want to use your current bell housing and clutch setup.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-20-2009 at 07:11 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!! If you only want to do the front end once go with Moog.I think TRW also makes a quality Ball joint.The tranny choices are all over since GM has always built interchangability into everything.
A couple of upgrades I would suggest is HEI ignition and the headlight relay.The HEI is painless and will reduce the maintainence on the engine.It also has bumped the power and smoothness of my 6 cyl.The headlight relay is said to really help the headlights ability to light up the road.(One of my next mods).Good luck with your truck and since no one said it yet.....

This thread is worthless without pics!!
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Saleenguy

Thanks everyone for the welcome, and advice.

I will call NAPA tomorrow for front end parts.

I heard hurst has a side mount floor shift i may put on just to get it going, then look into a 5 speed swap later on.

I think I am really going to enjoy the new truck a lot!
Saleenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
70cst

Saleenguy ...Looks like the beginning of a beautiful thing.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Doesn`t ECE sell Moog parts?Napa sells Precision brand (blue boots) and they are good parts.they are the upscale line they offer.

You say you`ve been a blue oval guy but you said "El camino type vehicle" and not Ranchero type.
That 327 is a bit rare in`67 GMCs.They just started with V8s there in late`67.I believe they are more common in Canadian trucks.Definately the big dog for`67.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote