The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
slategrove

Brakes and Gas questions...

Question #1: I have the mastercylinder with brake booster set-up, and my brake pedal pushes almost to the floor before I feel the brakes touch (about a half inch from the floor)...thinking the brake shoes might be ready for replacement I checked, and they still have tons of wear left...mastercylinder is full of fluid...as soon as I can get someone to step on the brakes for me, I'll bleed them to make sure, but any suggestions other than that?

Question #2: The cab of the truck smells like gas and has since I filled it up yesterday morning...I mean I like a free buzz as much as the next guy, but this is pretty bad. I've looked all around the tank (behind the seat) and can't see anywhere where the tank maybe leaking...no wet spots, etc. Also thought it might be because I'm driving around with the window down, and the cap is 4 inches from the window, but it smells just as strong when the truck is parked and I sit in the passenger seat...what do you think?

Thanks,

Last edited by slategrove; 04-23-2009 at 05:22 PM.
slategrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
72chevyk10
I built it

Re: Brakes and Gas questions...

i dont know brakes much but id think you got a cracked/busted fuel line somewhere between the carb and tank. on my truck when i fist got it the rubber lines under the cab were barley holdin to gether. if i put my finger to it i could get gas to spill out. its a wonder i didnt blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
craig24671

Might want to check the rod adjustment under the dash that goes from the pedal to the booster, might need to screw it out some if the brakes are bled and there are no leaks
Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
69halfton

with the drums on over the brake shoes, how freely does it spin?

could be that your self-adjusting brakes are out of adjustment

if they are too far from the drum, it will take alot of pedel movment to make them contact the drum.

there should be a little resistence on properly adjusted brakes. without the wheel on the truck (just the drums) it should have a very minimal amount of "coasting" time from when you stop spinning it, until it actually stops.

let us know. check all the brakes, not just one. all it takes is one.

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

pump the brake pedal a few times
Does the pedal come up?
If no, then adjust the rod in the booster
If yes;
Does the pedal sink back down after holding firmly for a moment?
Yes? Bleed brakes
No? Adjust shoes
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
slategrove

Thanks Guys!!! Got the brake linkage adjusted, and feel much better about the whole thing...also, the previous owner told me he had just replaced the sending unit in the gas tank, but my gas gauge doesn't move so after crawling around following all my gas lines under the truck, looking for leaks, I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't get the gasket for the sending unit , didn't put it in right, etc...? Gonna try to pick one up this weekend and replace it anyway, until then...NO SMOKING n Gus!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
big mike71

Longhorn man told me how to adjust my brake pedal in another thread he's the best. thanks longhorn.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slategrove View Post
Thanks Guys!!! Got the brake linkage adjusted, and feel much better about the whole thing...also, the previous owner told me he had just replaced the sending unit in the gas tank, but my gas gauge doesn't move so after crawling around following all my gas lines under the truck, looking for leaks, I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't get the gasket for the sending unit , didn't put it in right, etc...? Gonna try to pick one up this weekend and replace it anyway, until then...NO SMOKING n Gus!!!
What year model? I don't remember when but think starting in 71 there was a rubber line that went up in the b-pillar on the passenger side. That may have dry-rotted and fumes could be coming from there.

Last edited by 71tahoe; 04-24-2009 at 09:38 PM.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

Since the smell is stronger while sitting on the passenger side I agree it could be the vent hose in the b pillar.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
slategrove

So after adjusting the linkage from the brake pedal yesterday, I realized last night when I let the dog out that my brake lights were on...popped the fuse out so I could wait 'till this morning...is this the brake light switch? When I unlugged the connection with the arrow, brake lights stayed on? I son't see anything else that could be the brake light switch...

Name:  brakeswitch.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  68.9 KB
Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
slategrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
What year model? I don't remember when but think starting in 71 there was a rubber line that went up in the b-pillar on the passenger side. That may have dry-rotted and fumes could be coming from there.
It's a 67, and all I see is the line coming out of the tank (next to the sending unit which continues down through the floor and then under the cab to the front...checked all along this line yesterday, and doesn't appear to be leaking or releasing any fumes...it's the strongest inside the cab...gonna call Napa now to see if they have a gasket/sending unit.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
slategrove

Disregard

Quote:
So after adjusting the linkage from the brake pedal yesterday, I realized last night when I let the dog out that my brake lights were on...popped the fuse out so I could wait 'till this morning...is this the brake light switch? When I unlugged the connection with the arrow, brake lights stayed on? I son't see anything else that could be the brake light switch...

Attachment 456131
I found the brake light switch, under the dash and got the lights squared away...sometimes I feel like a real idiot!!!

Thanks for putting up with me guys
Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
72chevyk10
I built it

Re: Disregard

Quote:
I found the brake light switch, under the dash and got the lights squared away...sometimes I feel like a real idiot!!!

Thanks for putting up with me guys
i did somthing simular i had brake lights on for like 2hours before i found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

you aren't an idiot, and no one is 'putting up' with you at all.
We all started somewhere. Some youn ger than others, some not till they retired from there job and discovered they were going nuts with nothing to burn up there free time on.
The only stupid question, is the one you don't ask.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote