The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Chlsnk

Chop top pointers.

I am really considdering a chop top for my 84' short bed fleet side. Im thinking leaning the A pillars back and keep the stock size windsheild , have the rear window cut down because the squashed look jus seems right. I have read through many 47-71' chop jobs but never any for the 73-87' model years jus pictures of completed projects can any one point me to a posting on this?

My biggest question is wing vent windows how are they done? It seems you can somehow cut them down or go with the custom one piece window. Will the side windows have to be altered or can they just roll up and still match the window opening? I went and chopped off the top of one of these trucks when I took a load of scrap in so I have filler material and some box tubing to reinforce the inside of the cab.Went out today and took lots of window opening measurements.

I have some time to hammer out exactly what I want to do since I will be replacing the outer rockers and cab corners before I even start a chop. It is the glass that scares me most sheetmetal can be welded back windows can't.

Last edited by Chlsnk; 04-23-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: Chop top pointers.

back window is flat, no problem there. Windshield is safety glass, no problem there. Side windows are the issue. I've been quoted a little under $3k for windows, and it seems to be the only option for one piece glass. As far as using the factory side windows, you can. You make a longer stationary vent window, and just keep the factory side glass. Looks kinda crappy compared to the one piece opening, but it does work.

As far as your choice to keep the factory size windshield, I would reconsider. The tend to look out of proportion IMO.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

gonna move to paint and body to give this more exposure to the people who know this best

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Chlsnk

Thanks! http://www.flickr.com/photos/bones77...7603987228766/ Im courious to how this guy did his window.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlsnk View Post
Thanks! http://www.flickr.com/photos/bones77...7603987228766/ Im courious to how this guy did his window.
Looks like factory windshield laid back.
vintagesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Chlsnk

Thats what I figured my main question is how to do the wing vent windows
Old 04-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlsnk View Post
Thats what I figured my main question is how to do the wing vent windows
The wing vent windows can just be made of flat glass. When you get done with your chop, roll the factory windows up. Make a pattern for the remainder of the opening, get it cut, and install it in the wing vent opening using some weather stripping and move the factory window guide back. The wing vent will not be functional.

I think it's important to get the length of the roof right, and to maintain the factory angle on the A-pillar. The chop on that truck just doesn't look right to me. Also I think the windshield is cut down, but the roof is the factory length.

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 04-26-2009 at 05:58 PM.
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote