The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2002, 04:59 PM   #1
bigd65

well i almost killed myself on Christmas morning

i was driving home from work Christmas morning and was traveling about 75 mph. i heard a loud pop and the back tires locked up. well that made it start fish tailing and before you know it, i was headed backwards across the northbound traffic. i watched a mail box go by as i entered the ditch (backards) on the opposite side of the road. the truck finally came to a rest about 6 feet from a culvert as i slid sideways down the ditchline. if the truck didnt slow down and would have hit the culvert i would have been dead. eeewww i dont even wanna think about that. anyways, NOT A MARK ON THE GHOST. anytway i think the tranny locked up. when i started it (yep the GHOST still started) it had a clanking noise, i dont know what is broken, flywhel , torque converter etc... but it is at the shop that rebuilt the tranny. i initially thought it was the readend but when it was towed out of the ditch, the tires still rolled and when it started it clanked, so im not real sure what it it. BTW when i got out of the truck, my first words were "THANK YOU GOD". i told my wife the GHOST saved me but she didnt believe me she also said it was GOD. well im still alive today

85 C10 LWB 350/700R4
THE GHOST
Jeff Dodson
Brazoria Co. (where Texas began)
Old 12-26-2002, 05:12 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Dang Jeff. I bet this was a fun ride. Believe you me, I know the feeling of going down the highway backwards with no control whatsoever. Glad to hear your truck wasn't damaged.

You know what, I think you've found the cause of you vibration though. It looks like the tranny shop may have flubbed the dub.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:15 PM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Dayuumm... I'm glad you and your truck are fine. Must been one hell of a scarey ride. Sounds like someone was watching over you this Christmas.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:37 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when ya get the truck back youll have to jam on your emergency brake and try it again but this time have a buddy videotape it so we can all see LOL KIDDING

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I know Bob, I hate I missed seeing this.

Only kidding Jeffery. I am very glad you are OK. Even if your truck had been totaled, your safety is what is important. But you are fine and it's great the truck is OK also.

I guess you'll need to get the seats recovered, or at least cleaned real good, huh? Probably need some new drawers too.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 11:22 PM   #6
solidaxel

I think they call that a real E-TICKET ride !!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:46 AM   #7
neonlarry

I hope if the tranny shop screwed something up you get it fixed for free. I have had to many times of getting stuff back that wasn't put together right. Never anything like that though.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:56 AM   #8
bigd65

well i know you CAN get suction on cloth seats

I'll let yall know what the tranny shop tells me. i know it cost me 1300.00 about a year ago, i t had a 1 year warranty but this guy will probably carry it if it has something to do with his work, he is a good guy like that.

Mike i do believe your right, i think i found my vibration problem, i dont peticularly like the way i found it but at least i found it with no other damage to the truck
Old 12-27-2002, 09:35 AM   #9
bigd65

you know, the guy that followed me through ALVIN is the only person that had stopped and checked on me. i think he thought i was a drunk untill he saw me standing there in my SHERIFF"S DEPUTY uniform, but there was probably 20 cars that past by me while i was standing there and no one would stop. i always try and stop even when im not on duty.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:30 AM   #10
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by bigd65
you know, the guy that followed me through ALVIN is the only person that had stopped and checked on me. i think he thought i was a drunk untill he saw me standing there in my SHERIFF"S DEPUTY uniform, but there was probably 20 cars that past by me while i was standing there and no one would stop. i always try and stop even when im not on duty.
Ah, good ole ALVIN, "Home of Nolan Ryan". That was a joke we used to have when we'd go through ALVIN. The billboard said Alvin in small letters and "HOME OF NOLAN RYAN" in huge letters. I have an uncle that lives in Manvil and I grew up in Richmond and know the area well. It's funny, cause I remember how generous and helpful people were down there when they saw somebody in need on the side of the road. Guess things have changed a little.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:18 PM   #11
bigd65

well i got the call from the tranny guy. the tranny case is broken across the bell housing and also across the tail shaft and even the U-JOINT is broken. he said he will call me when he gets all the way torn down. anyway i would think it would have to be something inside the tranny that would cause this to happen and would think that this guy would warranty this being that i spent 1300.00 bucks about 1 year ago and he said it was bullet proof. well i am told by another friend that this guy will be honest and take care of it if it is his fault. anyway, he said he will give me another tranny case.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS MUCH DAMAGE INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION.