The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
fdbdw

off a tooth on dizzy

Anyone know an easy way to tell if your dizzy is off a tooth, I can only get about 8 BTDC then the vac can runs into the manifold, that plus some other little qurks that Im not sure are related but I have a feeling its off a little, Is there a way to tell without re-stabbing it
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Re: off a tooth on dizzy

Roll the engine to TDC on #1 cyl. LIne up your balancer and timing pointer. Then take the cap off and see where she points. #1 cyl on the cap should be pointing torwards the drivers side rear corner of your carb. Good luck

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
fdbdw

at numer one using the finger over the plug hole method the rotor points front left about the 4 o-clock postition I now its close just mabe off a tooth or two I dont mind pulling it, turning the oil pump a hair and restabbing it, just didnt know if there was a way to tell for sure when its lined up right
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
fdbdw

sorry read it fast and thouth it said rear corner of the cab, Ya its not anywhere close to pointing at the carb
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Gary 70 Jimmy

Just move every spark plug wire back one on your cap this will give you more room to turn it.

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
monte0185

Rule of thumb is usually point it to the #1 cylinder. If its off turn it counter clockwise one tooth and drop it back in. I need to do this myself. Mine is times correctly but I like the distributor to be sitting as close to even across as I can get. Just picky that way.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
americanmusc1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbdw View Post
sorry read it fast and thouth it said rear corner of the cab, Ya its not anywhere close to pointing at the carb
WATCH OUT, Remember a 4-stroke engine has 2 Top dead centers, One between the compression and power stroke(the correct one) and another between the exhaust and intake strokes. watch the valves and make sure your on the right stroke. the camshaft (and the dizzy) turn at 1/2 the rate of the crankshaft so when the crankshaft goes around twice, the camshaft only goes around once. If your rotor is waaay off, you are on the wrong TDC and the rotor is pointing 180 degrees from where it will be on the correct TDC

the 4 strokes of a 4-cycle engine
Intake down, compression up, power down, and exhaust up

if your already aware of this, I'm sorry, but I figured I'd remind you, in case you didn't know or forgot

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Where the rotor is pointed only matters to the wire terminals on the distributor cap......Where it points, relative to anything else is completely irrelevant. Any terminal can be number one on the cap, and go clockwise from there. 18436572.
For some unknown reason, many guys think that the number one cylinder on the cap has to be the one that would make the rotor itself point toward the left front corner of the engine..."literally" at the number one cylinder. Totally not necessary. It can be anywhere

BTW, if you really just need more travel to get the timing right, it is easier to just move the wires over one space on the cap.....as previously suggested by Gary 70 Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 04-24-2009 at 10:02 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

I guess it doesn't matter much but on point ignition era Chevys I have #1 pointing at the passenger side rear carb corner as illistrated here in a Haynes manual;
Well it doesn't want to upload. But trust me,it's passenger side.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 04-24-2009 at 10:03 AM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
monte0185

Your right it realy does not matter but its what all the manuals have it as. Hence the rule of thumb. Dosent mean you have to its just the preferred method.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

I agree. You can put # 1 anywhere you like as long as you go 18436572 clockwise from there. BUT, to put it as the factory did in these v8s it should be as described above.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Two correct opinions, you can put the #1 wire in any one of the terminal/holes on the dizzy as long as the engine is a TDC and the rotor lines up with the newly determined #1 terminal/hole. In the 67-72 tech manuals it shows the #1 terminal/hole as being on pass. side facing #2 cylinder.

Let me ask this, what are some of the know symptoms of the distributer being one tooth off?

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
Green Machine

In reality there are no "symptoms" of being a tooth off, in fact it does not matter what tooth is where as long as there is enough room to turn the distributor to get the timing set. Any terminal can be #1, plug wires just fit better with certain locations.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
LONGHAIR

Yeah ^^^, the only "symptom" would be that you cannot turn the distributor body far enough in the direction you need.

As a side note: If you have the "factory" plug wire retaining ring for an HEI distributor, it does have the cylinder numbers moulded into the plastic. It puts the no.1 cylinder as the first one clockwise after the wire connection terminals.......it still doesn't matter though.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
In reality there are no "symptoms" of being a tooth off, in fact it does not matter what tooth is where as long as there is enough room to turn the distributor to get the timing set. Any terminal can be #1, plug wires just fit better with certain locations.
I wonder if it would change the readings that you would see on a timing light flashing on the timing marks? That is with the distributer being one tooth off.

I had a motor that I put a new petronix fitted distributer into the hole. I couldn't get it to fire. Started to play with the timing and got it to fire and run decent, but anything over 8* BTDC the valves cattered when you put your foot into it. Set it again the TDC, set distributer, timed to 8*BTC and it ran fine. Maybe, it was something else, but I always thought it was a tooth off.
Bottom line is that its got work like you want it to when your driving it! Not sitting in the garage!

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
Old 04-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
I wonder if it would change the readings that you would see on a timing light flashing on the timing marks? That is with the distributer being one tooth off.
No it wouldn't. The light "fires" when the sparkplug does, which is in relation to the crankshaft's rotation. Turning the distributor is how you change this relationship. The "one tooth off" thing is just a stopping point to your ability to turn the distributor. If the vacuum advance cannister didn't "hit" anything, which would limit it's rotation, then you could never be a "tooth off"

Quote:

Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Makes sense, thanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would imagine there is a reason for the "rule of thumb".The first thing that comes to mind is that the factory set the engines up that way to facilitate dropping distributors in engines on the assembly line.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
LONGHAIR

I'm sure that you are right PanelDeland. I would bet that the factory did it the same way all of the time, if for no other reason then speed and repeatibility. I would think that they dropped in the distributor with the rotor pointed toward #6, because that is where it needs to be when the dots of the cam gear and crank gear are aligned.

Quote:

Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #20
MT1972cheyenne

If the factory wanted to do something for simplicity & repeatability, why didn't they just make it so that the rotor pointed straight back when it was at #1 TDC?
I'm kind-of being a smart**s, but really, wouldn't that make the most sense, then build the distributor cap accordingly?
MT1972cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
fdbdw

took it out and moved it clockwise a tooth, vac can clears manifold, looks better, runs great, thanks