The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
kcackler

Fix the rust or switch the cab?

I've got a 77 C10 with the usual signs of aging...Rusty rocker panels and rusty floorboards about 2 inches in from each door. I can plainly see the road from the passenger side, and can see the road if I look hard enough from the driver's side.

Now, my problem is that I don't own a welder, and even if I did, I'm not confident enough in my abilities to start replacing such key elements in the cab. Meaning, I'd need to pay a shop to spend some serious man hours repairing the damage.

So I guess the question is: What would be cheaper? Buying a rust free cab and switching it out myself (It's a fairly straight forward process, isn't it?) or paying a shop to repair both floorboards, rocker panels on each side, plus a few other rusted-through spots?

I'm not sure what the going price is for a rust-free 77 cab...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
84 400
Sb 400 club

Re: Fix the rust or switch the cab?

Around here I see cabs going 150 and up. IT is a hard task but nothing beats orginal rust free metal
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
kcackler

Well 150 or even 350 or 450 for original metal doesn't sound bad at all.

I've never had major bodywork done, but I'm guessing that having the rust repaired would run me more than that....

Now I just need to find a good cab around here
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you can find a clean cab you will be miles ahead over fixing what you have. Especially if your having to pay someone to do the work.

My next question would be, would it be better to find a complete rust free truck and build it?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
kcackler

This particular truck has quite a bit of sentimental value to me, so replacing the whole thing isn't quite as appealing as replacing just part of it.

Besides, the rest of the truck is fairly rust free. It needs a new tailgate that's not pitted, but the rest of the truck is just surface rust...
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Damien

My dad has the same problem with my grandfather's '72. I will ask you the same question, If you have to replace everything, is it still the same truck? You also have to deal with the vin and registration if you change the cab, however you go about it. If you could post pics, we could offer better advice. I've seen cabs here in Minnesota that people said were junk, and I looked at it and said it was in good fixable shape. I grew up in a bodyshop, so I have a different point of view too.

Last edited by Damien; 04-27-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
billnorman

A MIG welder can be had for $200.00 or less on sale from Harbor Freight. At first you could start with flux cored wire if you can't afford a bottle and regulator, and change over later. A self-darkening helmet is available for about $40.00. You will be suprised how much you find uses for a welder, before long you will be gluing all kinds of iron parts together. Your neighbors will be asking you for favors. If you DO get one, get one that is 220volt, not 115. They are more steady.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
kcackler

A mig welder is something I WANT but not something I feel confident enough welding body parts with...

How big of an undertaking is it to replace the rocker panels and floorboards anyway?

My main reason for either paying to have it fixed or replacing the cab altogether is because I just don't want to cut too much metal off or do some other sort of damage to the cab.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
usmc_noma

why not weld in panels but start with spart panels from a yard or something. that way you can get a steady hand, used to welding, and make better welds. i think it'll have more value to you if you do the work yourself rather than switching the cab. remember when you switch the cab, you've got wires, steering, etc to switch over too.
usmc_noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
kcackler

That's true and a good point. I think I like that idea better than my original ones...

The question is: How large of an undertaking is it to patch the floor panels and replace the rocker panels/that whole area? It seems like I saw a good write-up on it here somewhere but I can't find it now..
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
dammitmitchell
the pollock

i learned basic mig welding in about two days or practice.. you would be surprised how easy it is to pick up..
no I AM NOT A PRO or claiming to be.. but hell i can hide my welds with a good sanding disc hehehehe
and i did not paricullary think floor boards were too hard to replace..
i think esxterior panels were harder because i can tell whenever i was or am welding there after i rattle bomb it.. bleh..
and trust me dude we've seen some preeeety ****ty welders post pictures here..
good luck

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
kcackler

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Now I just have to convince the wife that I NEED a nice mig welder for my birthday
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
usmc_noma

i've never done it before myself, but from seeing work on the net, tv, in person, etc i get the general idea of how it should be done. again i'd do some practice with spare sheet metal if you could get your hands on it.

just make sure not to lay down a continuous weld on thin sheetmetal that way you don't warp it. spotweld takes more time but you'll be happier with the results.
usmc_noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

you can get some of this and either cut out what you need or replace the whole thing. it could make things easier for you.
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=C1 plus he is a member and a great guy!

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Damien

If you are going to buy a welder, spend the money. The off brand welders are hard to get parts for when they brake or wear out. Do not get a flux core welder! They suck for auto body work, because the flux cored wire burns hotter then solid wire. It also leave slag on the weld. Use solid wire with an argon mix gas. 75/25 is a good general purpose. you could also use 95/5 or stargon. I recommend a 110 V welder. You will be able to turn the heat down and not burn through. You should be able to pick one up for about $600. A 220V is going to run more like $1500.

When it comes time to cut the old panel out, lay the new one over it to make sure you have enough metal to at least cover your old material. Cut out the metal you need to replace, THEN cut the replacement panel to fit what you cut out. Just because you have the whole new panel does not mean you need to use the all of it. When you do the rocker panel you will want the door on and aligned so you can check the gaps. the door will probably need to be removed to finish the welding. Sand the welds with a flap wheel or die grinder. Do not use a hard wheel. Use tack welds instead of a continuous bead. fill the entire seam. Do not use body filler to fill in gaps.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
kcackler

Great tips Damien. I've already added a nice mig welder to my birthday wish list coming up in May. Definitely going to do lots of practice on scrap metal before I start cutting my baby though
Old 04-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i'm also not very confident when it comes to welding mainly because i've never really done it----the only time was with the type where the wire comes out of the "gun." i did this to try to repair a lawnmover and it still fell apart a few weeks later.

The only way to learn is to try. Therefore i insist you try to fix the cab yourself.

The only reason i have not further pursed welding is because i'm too busy. But this is one of the things that is high on my list once i get enough time and money.

2) If i could branch the steer the topic off a little into a different tangent; We are all probably aware that the medium duty trucks from 73 to 87ish also shared, at least externally/visually, the same cab. i've noticed that u-haul is selling alot of these trucks for cheap--2 grand and under and the cabs are basically rust free.

Will these cabs interchange with the pickup cabs?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
74 C-30
Dually Pride

the C-60 cabs arent a direct swap, they have different floorpans and different firewalls, to make it work is more work than just replaceing the rockers.

I'm in the same boat as you! typical rust and rot ate the cab corners, rockers and the first 2 inches or so on my truck, I really want to fix it but I'm not that confident in my welds yet. plus we have a cheap chinese made MIG welder that has constant power to the wire. a welder with trigger only power is IMO a much better, and more useful machine. just my 2 cents

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger
74 C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #19
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If you are going to buy a welder, spend the money. The off brand welders are hard to get parts for when they brake or wear out. Do not get a flux core welder! They suck for auto body work, because the flux cored wire burns hotter then solid wire. It also leave slag on the weld. Use solid wire with an argon mix gas. 75/25 is a good general purpose. you could also use 95/5 or stargon. I recommend a 110 V welder. You will be able to turn the heat down and not burn through. You should be able to pick one up for about $600.

A 220V is going to run more like $1500.
All great advise here. You can actually get a 220v welder for under a $1000. You would be looking at a 175/180 amp type machine. Both Lincoln, Miller(Hobart) offer machines is that size range.

check out www.cyberweld.com and see what they carry and a ballpark figure on the machines.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

To get a concept of the level of difficulty involved, spend some time in the 67-72 "project" forum. Most of those guys have replaced rockers, cab corners, floorboards, etc.
Yes the cabs are different, but the task is the same.

Keep in mind that you won't be welding the panels with a a bead. They are welded in with a series of spot welds. You keep adding spots till they are all connected together.

I know that doesn't come through very clear, so look at how the 67-72 guys do it and you will see what I mean.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
Damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
All great advise here. You can actually get a 220v welder for under a $1000. You would be looking at a 175/180 amp type machine. Both Lincoln, Miller(Hobart) offer machines is that size range.

check out www.cyberweld.com and see what they carry and a ballpark figure on the machines.
True. When I think of a 220V welder I think of the larger welders like the Lincon 215 or 255. I think most welding supply stores will let you try the machine before you buy it. At least the one I worked at and the few others I've dealt with did. Also, the salesmen can be very helpful if you tell them what you are planning to use the welder for and can make suggestions.
I don't think you will be able to try out the welders at Home Depot.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #22
SquareOne

Sorry to revive the thread, but it covered a lot of questions I have as far as replacing the corner panels and other rust. I still have have a few questions though.

1) What are ya'll using to cut these pieces out? I don't really want to spend the money on a plasma cutter either. Is there a cheaper alternative?

2) I saw the link on the http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com and I'll definetly be looking into that, but are there any brands I should avoid? I've been looking at Goodmark panels as well.

Pretty much, what all would be needed to get rid of the rusty panels, and prevent further rusting, the right way?
SquareOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

go check the FAQ section and the Autobody section..both sections have many informative articles and instruction, more than one could link here.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #24
spinem
haha, ford guys...

buy a cab, but make sure to call the dmv in ur area, may make more issues than good. (call for "a friend" never say your wanting to), they will say well is ur vehicle unsafe blkah blah blah, believe me. been there done that.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #25
TwoFiftyShifter

I vote a new cab. I'm up here in the rust belt, and its relatively easy to find an 80's PU with a solid cab. I would replace the cab, if it was a 60s truck, I might vote otherwise as it would be harder to find and more expensive....