The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

I fell in love

I want this`64,bad.Although I really want big glass.I got this guys number at the end of Spring Carlisle.He hauls stuff back from AZ and was selling parts or whole.That`s original paint and just what I`d like to start with.The old rancher he bought it from got it just how he wanted it...HD suspension,16" wheels,292/4spd:

He has other parts for it and wants $1,500.I had that in my pocket and it`s only a bit over an hour away.Now,it`s up in upstate NY.I just need the money for surviving my dislocated shoulder,unfortunately...such is life.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Joemomma1

Re: I fell in love

Isnt $1500 a bit steep?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
chucks1967

I would say $500 is pushing it in that condition.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
rendus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
Isnt $1500 a bit steep?
I'm real new to all this...but I think it is.
My 66 was $1200 and just had the usual rust.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
Isnt $1500 a bit steep?
Depends on what's available in his area & what the final objective is.

A truck from AZ for sale up North is not the same as a truck from up north for sale. Southwest trucks w/minimal rust issues can cost a little more, but they also don't have many of the severe rust issues & will cost less over-all to get road worthy.

This would be less so for a total frame off restoration where many parts are replaced while it's down to the frame. But on a driver/beater where it's a 'get it running & enjoy it' type of build, the extra spent for the low rust truck will be worth it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
SIR
SIR

I.M.H.O. ... keep looking,he's looking for a quick buck from a sucker!...RUN!!! try c.l. in your aera,closer to home.and most likely cheaper...TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Joemomma1

I suppose your right, over here theyre a dime a dozen. I can see how salt, snow and other things will effect the overall condition of trucks in a certain area.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Chevy Fleetside

Here you can get this one for $600 http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1115921609.html

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

Dont know how close you are to linden but there is this one. http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1142549549.html

Or this one in smyrna http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1137627571.html

65 Short Fleetside BBC
Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIR View Post
I.M.H.O. ... keep looking,he's looking for a quick buck from a sucker!...RUN!!! try c.l. in your aera,closer to home.and most likely cheaper...TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
I wolud have to agree. 1500 for a truck in that condtion seems steep.Offer him 800.00 and see if he'll bite

"Over, Around or through it... "
Old 04-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
Both of those look like long beds so they would be available for cheaper. Where's Modesto vs. Buffalo?

That one looks to be closer but I'd bet it's still a pretty good drive just to check it out when he's already looked @ the first one in the thread starter.

I've seen my buddies do it as well. They see a truck for $1500 less in MO, drive from TX to pick it up (or pay to have it shipped) only to find it's worse than expected or no better than a slightly more expensive local truck. Once you factor in the transportation costs & time/effort involved, the slightly more expensive local deal starts looking much better.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I am going to piss you guys off, but you are being assholes. Of every one of you who posted about the price being too high, not a single one of you lives in the rust belt. You might want to put on Special-Ks shoes and walk awhile through the rust belt to adjust your perspective on fair truck pricing.

This guy is in Buffalo NY. He is not in a nice southern or western climate where these trucks survive. Up there, the pickins are very slim.

Frankly, the opinion of pricing from someone who lives in a nice salt free climate is about as pertinent to him as his choice is snow shovels is to you.

A 1500 dollar truck in hand to a yankee is just as good as going across the country to get a cheaper truck. Gas and wear and tear on your truck and trailer is not free. It don't take long driving all over, stopping for meals and gas to eat up any savings.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Scoti and Kevin,you`re alright with me.I don`t need to be told what anything is worth.I know my trucks as well as any nay-sayer on this site.Do you all know what it costs to ship a truck 2,500 to 3,000 miles?Non-drivable is double.I want to "build" a truck.This truck costs less than a set ot wheels and tires.It has a running 292 that`s worth alot.The other body parts come with it.AND,it doesn`t have the 'usual" rust.I have "vision" that many seem to lack,I guess.You are looking at original paint,no dents,no bondo,rare 292 and 16" 6-lug wheels.It has three hole no bigger than a quarter.I can sell the engine and wheels or prolly keep the motor.Don`t think I`m getting defensive.More like attempting to enlighten those who can`t see it.
I took this truck and build it from something simular out of AZ that I dragged back:

It was a bit better,but I paid more,too.It was white with light surface rust.But,had a 327,extra tank,a/c,tach,and set up for a camper.I sold it for $8,000.
I took junk that looked like this thruck I showed you and built this when I lived in Flagstaff:

I had about $3,000 into that one and sold it for that in`82.
I mess with bikes,too.If you saw the basket case I started with you wouldn`t believe this bike could come out of it:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-27-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
chucks1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I am going to piss you guys off, but you are being assholes. Of every one of you who posted about the price being too high, not a single one of you lives in the rust belt. You might want to put on Special-Ks shoes and walk awhile through the rust belt to adjust your perspective on fair truck pricing.

This guy is in Buffalo NY. He is not in a nice southern or western climate where these trucks survive. Up there, the pickins are very slim.

Frankly, the opinion of pricing from someone who lives in a nice salt free climate is about as pertinent to him as his choice is snow shovels is to you.

A 1500 dollar truck in hand to a yankee is just as good as going across the country to get a cheaper truck. Gas and wear and tear on your truck and trailer is not free. It don't take long driving all over, stopping for meals and gas to eat up any savings.
I apologies for trying to help a guy save a little $ Really... that made you that upset? wow.

Last edited by chucks1967; 04-27-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wanted to sound a little better
Old 04-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
Joemomma1

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I was asking a question not making a statement. Scoties reply has its candor so I left it at that.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
slepysal

Kevin, DUDE? wow we are assholes?
If its a good deal then by all means he should buy it.
I 'll be sure to keep my West Coast Opinions only for the West Coast guys

Last edited by slepysal; 04-27-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter

I don't care if you guys like me or not. In real life, I am indeed a true grade A certified asshole. But, I say what I mean and I never disrespect anyone first.

I'm simply saying out of respect for the guy, everyone should consider what he is dealing with. His climate and truck availablity is different than any one elses. Yes, that is a 500 dollar truck here too, but I live in Texas, they are very common.

The guy has been building old trucks for years and if he said he fell in love, there must be something to it. I've never known him to be a fool.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 04-27-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
rendus

Quote:
The guy has been building old trucks for years and if he said he fell in love, there must be something to it.
I guess what they say about love being blind is true!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
slepysal

realy, the only lack of respect came from you, NO ONE bashed him.
But what ever ...... your right I dont care either

Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks1967 View Post
I apologies for trying to help a guy save a little $ Really... that made you that upset? wow.
The fact is (and,apparently you can`t see it) there is no cheaper way to go.At least I haven`t seen one offered.I live in maryland which is the south and we just don`t have this body style running around.Can`t you see a decent truck in those pictures?I sure as heck can.But,I am an old salt restorer from way back.I also doubt there are trucks this clean in Dixie.This truck is from the no rust zone...Arizone...as in Arid-Zone.I see what`s farther south and along the gulf coast and I haven`t seen anything this clean.See those enders laying up under it...rust free.The grille would take little to be chrome-ready.
I don`t think anyone`s upset here.Just trying top broaden some closed minds.That can be harder than restoring a truck.At least for me it is.
Now,excuse me.In the middle of typing this I heard the distinct rumble of an idling Panhead out front.It`s Joe,my riend up the road who has a `56 effie I`m helping him with.I stick my head out and he just pointed up his way and took off.That`s how we roll around here.Maybe I am sick enough to want to buy such junk,but I`m happy in that skin.
BTW,these guys bring junk rustfree from California to the same swap meet.They were asking $900 for a clean bare 67-72 shortbed frame.That`s nuts ain`t it?I`d never pay that.But,they sold it.I bought one from Hart Rob for that much with rebuilt steering/brakes/and all including a 4/6 drop.I take pride in my assessment in old iron and have years behind me to back it up.
Over & out.

*Ever notice how few guys in this 60-66 area are rom above the Mason-Dixon line?That outta tell ya something,ya think?

Tim

Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #21
chucks1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The fact is (and,apparently you can`t see it) there is no cheaper way to go.At least I haven`t seen one offered.I live in maryland which is the south and we just don`t have this body style running around.Can`t you see a decent truck in those pictures?I sure as heck can.But,I am an old salt restorer from way back.I also doubt there are trucks this clean in Dixie.This truck is from the no rust zone...Arizone...as in Arid-Zone.I see what`s farther south and along the gulf coast and I haven`t seen anything this clean.See those enders laying up under it...rust free.The grille would take little to be chrome-ready.
I don`t think anyone`s upset here.Just trying top broaden some closed minds.That can be harder than restoring a truck.At least for me it is.
Now,excuse me.In the middle of typing this I heard the distinct rumble of an idling Panhead out front.It`s Joe,my riend up the road who has a `56 effie I`m helping him with.I stick my head out and he just pointed up his way and took off.That`s how we roll around here.Maybe I am sick enough to want to buy such junk,but I`m happy in that skin.
BTW,these guys bring junk rustfree from California to the same swap meet.They were asking $900 for a clean bare 67-72 shortbed frame.That`s nuts ain`t it?I`d never pay that.But,they sold it.I bought one from Hart Rob for that much with rebuilt steering/brakes/and all including a 4/6 drop.I take pride in my assessment in old iron and have years behind me to back it up.
Over & out.

*Ever notice how few guys in this 60-66 area are rom above the Mason-Dixon line?That outta tell ya something,ya think?
I'm not going to take that personally as Im not from Alabama originally. Im from IL and know about rust. But I do see a truck there, In my minds eye. I guess its all in what you want and how much work you want to do. However I will say this, if you have ever been down here and see what these cats drive... you wouldn't say anything about no rust in the south. They drive'em and drive'em proud, and Im blessed to live south of the Dixie line. I guess they are rubbing off on me, and I didn't want someone to make a bad decision. but what ever. If you ever get a chance come on down and hang out, Ill buy you a nice big ice tea!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #22
Tx Firefighter

Well crap, this isn't going to end up in some big group hug scenario is it ? Because if so, I don't want to be that guy in the middle.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 04-27-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Chevy Fleetside

oops.. I thought he was in TN. Buffalo is a bit differnt. And I already know im an asshole.,

65 Short Fleetside BBC

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 04-27-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #24
chucks1967

Quote:
Well crap, this isn't going to end up in some big group hug scenario is it ? Because if so, I don't want to be that guy in the middle.
dude go rope a goat or wrangle a steer... There now that more on your level right?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #25
jason65
Registerd User

Yea! Lets all cook up some smores, hold hands and sing kumbya.
Closed Thread