The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
ol Curt

ol curt Chapter I cont'd

In between all the excitement I finally got a little time in the garage yesterday. I got most of the floor in on the drivers side...a few minor areas yet. I got my pillars and braces on, inner and outer rocker. Now.....I put the door on to try the fit before welding up good and the door closes, and there is a nice straight line at the bottom, but really tight there. How much adjustment is there (if any) straight up and down on the door?

Before you ask, easy on me there Sheriff DICK, I am battery poor tonight. I used two of my AA's from my camera for my cordless mouse...it's one or the other. But...I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

Somebody down the street died and there were police crawling all over the place. I think it is just an older lady, her husband and son living there. I was out taking Gus, my big, but big baby, pitbull out for a walk. A car was coming toward us so I told him to sit and he just calmly sat there as a lady pulled up. I thought for sure she was going to compliment him on how pretty and well behaved he was, but she said"I don't know how far you are going for your walk, but there are a couple of K9 units out down the street". I decided walk time was over! Sounds like the police suspect the son or dad as they are only saying the investigation is continuing but her death is considered very suspicious.I decided that was a good day to stay in and work on ol Curt! It was quite exciting for our quiet little neighborhood.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
jason65
Registerd User

Re: ol curt Chapter I cont'd

Where the door hinge bolts to the cab is your up and down, tilt foward or back. Where it bolts to the door is your in and out. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
ol Curt

Thanks Jason,
I also considered that could move\tilt the rockers slightly to give me 1/8" or so if needed.

Bob
Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
joe231

Sheriff Dick is watching you Bob

Last edited by joe231; 04-28-2009 at 09:58 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
ol Curt

Here's a dilemma I have. My floor support doesn't come out far enough to meet the inner rocker. It is about 1/2" shy. It is a bit hard to tell from the photo, but it definitely is. I'm not sure whether to take the brace back out and add to the inboard end of it, or just our a bushing over the bolts. I know which would be easier!
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

These are some pix of mine. Hope these help. Jason is right about the door adjustments.

The ends of mine were not bent at a 90 like the OE. I could have welded an angle, but just butt welded it. If I bent the new one over it would have been too short.

I know you are past this stage, but I left the original inner A pillar in place until I was happy with the fit of the cab support. Once I felt comfortable with the fit I replaced that section of the a pillar. That way I always had something to referrence too. I did cheat where the 2 are normally bolted together. I just plug welded everything together.

My inner A pillar pieces were for a 67-72. They didn't offer these when I bought them almost 2 years ago. So they may look a little different than yours. I had to make them work.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
ol Curt

Mine were that way also. I thought I butt welded mine like yours to make the hole on the bottom line up with the bolt that goes thru the floor. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Last edited by ol Curt; 05-03-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
ol Curt

I looked this morning and I had bent my tabs slightly...not at a 90 but probably 45. Looks like I might have to go back and redo that to extend the braces to where they need to be.

I do like the idea of plug welding and feel I will do the same.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
ol Curt

Well, I almost have my floor and rockers finished on one side, my horn goes toot toot now, and Sherriff Dick Needs to look out, cause I'm the mayor now!
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Nice work Bob!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
Well, I almost have my floor and rockers finished on one side, my horn goes toot toot now, and Sherriff Dick Needs to look out, cause I'm the mayor now!
Slick work Bob......

welcome Mayor

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
jason65
Registerd User

Good job Bob. Looks like the door and rocker lines up pretty good.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
ol Curt

Thanks guys, I have to decide how much grinding and sanding I want to do on the areas. I guess I could skim coat it like one of our more anal retentive members!

I can't see doing too much work on the areas knowing I'll cover them up with a mat.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
joe231

Nice work MAYOR BOB!!!

I can't wait to do the floors, rockers, and supports in the wife's truck, big thanks to all you guys for posting pics of the progress