The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
mudmizer

gear oil getting from sm465 into 205 case

My plan is to go to an automatic but after having gear oil blowing out from the vent tube for quite a while I started to think that somehow it must be over full. I pulled the fill plug and drained 2-3 ouarts untill it stoped running out. I then checked the tranny and it was WAY low,scarry low. I guess a seal or gasket is out between the two. The tranny level was well below the coupler part of the adapter so I guess it's leaking through the lower part of the adapter.
Any ideas as to what I'll need to replace, I guess all the seals and gaskets as long as I split the two. Is it possible to leak between the two or is somthing broke?
It may be a while before I can get the auto ready to go in.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: gear oil getting from sm465 into 205 case

Yeah, there are two seals inside the tranfercase adapter that prevent the trans and tcase lubes from mixing. The two seals actually hold the trans to tcase sleeve in place inside the adapter. I had this same problem on mine when it was an automatic and the tcase filled up with ATF.

It isn’t that hard of a job just heavy work. Separate the adapter from the transmission then slide the tcase back out of the way. Once you get the tcase out of the way you can remove the adapter and do the seal work on the bench. One of the hardest parts of the job is removing the front driveshaft. The NP205 front shaft bolts are a PITA to get to especially if your rig is greasy.

If you have any tcase leaks now is the time to deal with those as well. A complete NP205 seal kit is available for an economical price through National Drivetrain.

http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsi...tcaseseal.html

I had mine out not all that long ago to reseal it. It only took 3 tries to get the damn adapter to quit leaking at the transmission union.
Attached Images

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Burlinator
Just Another Crazy Canuck

Re: gear oil getting from sm465 into 205 case

for best results I have always had better luck installing the adapter to the trans first, gone the other way a couple times and it leaked