The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
treman03

ride height

I purchased a '88 GMC pickup 1/2 ton 2wd with a 454 in it. The truck had lowering a-arms on it. I removed these and put stock a-arms on it. I then found out that the coil springs had been cut also. I replaced these from a junk yard. My height seems kinda high now. I have 33" from the ground to the bottom of the fender. Is this the correct height? Does someone have a late model they can measure and let me know if this is the correct height? I'm in the process of having a 350cid built to put in the truck and I know the weight is gonna make a difference when I do this. May have more clearance then because of the weight difference. Thanks for the input..
treman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: ride height

Anyone?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
badaceissimo

I measured 32" on my 86 c10 for the high point of both the front and rear wheel well. All my parts are stock for suspension and I think its about time for some new suspension as it drives like a warthog (really cheap jeep) on HALO (computer game). The fender by the bumper read 15". I hope this helps. Let me know if you plan to sell the 454. I would like to upgrade from my 305 v8 to a bigger engine and transmission. ^o^
badaceissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
treman03

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaceissimo View Post
I measured 32" on my 86 c10 for the high point of both the front and rear wheel well. All my parts are stock for suspension and I think its about time for some new suspension as it drives like a warthog (really cheap jeep) on HALO (computer game). The fender by the bumper read 15". I hope this helps. Let me know if you plan to sell the 454. I would like to upgrade from my 305 v8 to a bigger engine and transmission. ^o^
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait til I get the 350 in and see what I have then. And yes, I will be getting rid of the 454. I will tell you that it has a slight knock. I'm not a mechanic but someone told me it might be the wrist pin. But if your gonna rebuild then it doesn't matter. It will have everything on it except the carb. I'll try to post some pics later of it.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
badaceissimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by treman03 View Post
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait til I get the 350 in and see what I have then. And yes, I will be getting rid of the 454. I will tell you that it has a slight knock. I'm not a mechanic but someone told me it might be the wrist pin. But if your gonna rebuild then it doesn't matter. It will have everything on it except the carb. I'll try to post some pics later of it.
Cool. I guess I'll start looking at rebuild costs around here. With any luck I can put it in my truck and go. Maybe I can find a newer transmission that will bolt on and let me use a digital tachometer without spending too much. Think maybe late June would be a good time to pick it up? That would be just after my honeymoon.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
treman03

I'll have to check around and see what BBC are going for. I have no idea. Does anybody know? I'm thinking the motor is out of a early '90 model 3500.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
badaceissimo

Quote:
I'll have to c heck around and see what BBC are going for. I have no idea. Does anybody know? I'm thinking the motor is out of a early '90 model 3500.
Sorry... I don't think I know what a BBC is... >.> I'm assuming it is a big block carburetor? I found some I like on ebay and jegs. I don't know what your budget is but jcwhitney and amazon have some. It might just be the difference between a square and spread bore carburetor as opposed to 2 and 4 barrel. I hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
treman03

BBC = Big Block Chevy
Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
badaceissimo

Quote:
BBC = Big Block Chevy
Ah. Now I understand. One day I'll know the lingo. Lol. I think craigslist, google, and ebay would have a good ball park answer and the junkyard could maybe quote a working overhead. I tend to think that junkyards are expensive around me though.... The junkyards in Houston are much cheaper.