The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

Power vs Manual Brakes

i have power and was thinking of switching to manual for racing and daily duties and wanted to see if any of You Fellow truck guys were running em'? i know on semi-heavy truck(3600-4000lbs) it might not be for the frail but just wanted some feedback on the idea

thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Wild83C10

Re: Power vs Manual Brakes

I have manual brakes and have no desire to go to power brakes. I like manual, I have manual everything. I currently have power steering but will be switching to a manual rack soon.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

I was thinking the same thing(truck is really only driven on the track but gets some street "play" time)so you dont think it would be a wrestling match to drive it around? save some power to
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I used a manual 'corvette' ms/cyl on my pick-up and it was a simple bolt-in. I did nothing except replace the rubber boot and plumb the system. I used a Wilwood prop valve on the rear. It works fine, but make sure your seat is bolted in well. I have to stand on it pretty hard.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

what are we talking here? like both feet standing on or just lean into the seat and give er' a Push? also how do you guys think it would feel in an PANIC! stop or coming down from say 135mph?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I was exaggerating a bit for the sake of humor, but it does take a good push to get it to slow. Im not a brake expert, so I dont know if there would be a way of changing the feel with a different bore, for example. Ive driven my truck on the freeway and it felt fine off the exit ramps, but I like to slow down early in anticipation of problems when driving the pick-up. It was definitely easy to install; I had never done a complete brake install and it worked fine for my purposes.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Irishpilot

I must be missing the point. I had manual brakes and upgraded to power because of the safety and ease. My truck is my hotrod and even with the little I drive it, there is no question what is easier to drive with. Before, there was a lot of pedal travel and it wasn't too bad to stop when driving around town, but going from highway speeds to a stop was work. With power, there is less pedal travel, and I get more stopping power with the booster. I have stock disk/drum and I feel much more comfortable doing a panic stop with power brakes. When racing the 1/4 there is no question which system I want on that 4100 lb truck.

I've raced a '68 Camaro with manual brakes but it weighed less and was strictly a race 1/4 car. Even with less weight if that Camaro was going to be driven on the street, I would want power brakes.

Why do you guys want manual brakes?
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

i really like road feel and power sometimes gives me the feeling im playing a video game or something...my truck is way under 4100 and a strip/street toy plus i barely make enough vacuum as is
Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
strick9c10

Power vs Manual Brakes

It all depends on how you plan on using the truck, where you live, and what the roads are like. I live along the coast of Maine... quite rural. The nearest Interstate is 50 miles away.

I have a 79 C-10 with a heavily modified 355 that's registered as an antique... only driven in the warmer months & logs 2500 miles a year. That one originally came with power disc brakes & was converted to manual disc. I love it - with the drilled & slotted rotors up front & way beefy drums in back, it stops great... and yes it requires more leg power than my 87 daily driver that's 100% stock.

The 87 has the power booster & everything... and yes will stop quicker at higher speeds. If I had to panic stop, especially at over 100 mph, I probably would want the power set up, because it works better especially with a truck weight of 4000+ pounds. At speeds of up to 70-80 mph, the two trucks are almost dead equal.

If the motor in your truck engine is modified, especially with a radical cam, and you feel there won't be enough vacuum to run power brakes, you could always add an after-market vacuum reservoir.
strick9c10 is offline   Reply With Quote