The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Dynomutt

Heavy duty dropped rear springs?

Does anybody make a heavy duty dropped rear coil spring? I took heavy duty coils off to put 4" dropped springs in and they seem to be way too soft. It'll hit the bump stops if you hit a bump and that's with nothing in the bed. I could run coil overs or something with them (or without I guess) but I'd rather not have to.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Heavy duty dropped rear springs?

When you put on the springs did you add shock relocators and/or drop shocks? This could be the problem you are experiencing since the shocks are probably at a bad angle and aren't doing what they are supposed to.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Dynomutt

I have the dropped shocks but didn't put them on yet since I was just test fitting before tear down. I sure wouldn't think shocks would make the difference I was hoping for.

Build Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

You may have to trim the bumpstops?? I wouldn't think that you'd have a bottoming problem with 4" of drop. Most people never hit with 5" springs and rarely hit with 6" springs (with the bumpstops removed/trimmed).

He could be right about the shocks. If they're not at a proper angle they're not going to work as well. If all you have is drop shocks and not relocaters you might want to try swapping your lower shock plates from one side to the other (drivers to passenger and vice versa) and flipping them upside down. You'll need a thin spacer or washers to fill the small gap between the brackets and the trailing arms once you flip em. This might sound hokey to some of you guys but it's how Early Classic used to tell you to do em before they started selling their relocater kits.

Also...What brand are your springs?
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

If messing with the shocks doesn't work out, I believe GMC Paul's sells 3/4 ton drop springs.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you do really decide that you need to stiffen up the rear, there is a "suplimental" air bag that is design to do what you need. Coil-over shocks would cost you more than that....and you would still have to reinforce the shock mounts. They were never disigned to carry they weight, so they are not strong enough to do it. Besides, the air bags are adjustable, very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 05-03-2009 at 09:51 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Dynomutt

Thanks for the info guys.

See Ten, I haven't trimmed the bumpstops or anything because I was just test fitting for now. I haven't installed the dropped shocks yet for the same reason. I just didn't think the shocks would make THAT big of a difference and I really think that as soft as the springs are it will bottom out even if I trim the bump stops. It's almost as if there aren't any shocks installed (kind of) but the old (long) shocks are on there and the are not bad. I would think if they weren't working due to the long length, they would bind instead of go soft. I have heard the shock plate flip trick and was kicking that around as an option as well. I'm running CPP 4" drop springs and they are about a third of the diameter of the ones I removed (which I also installed about 3yrs ago).

Sinister, Thanks for the tip on GMC Paul's. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Longhair, I'd rather not have to run bags or coil overs if I can help it but I'll keep this in mind as an option.

Build Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

You never said what brand of dropped springs you put in. Not all springs are equal. ECE springs are rated like the stock 1/2 ton rating but with the drop. If you look at CPP springs, you can tell that the coil wire is much smaller thickness and I seriously doubt they keep the 1/2 ton rating.

BTW, good shocks will control the rear end, not change the rating of the springs. Good luck on getting things sorted out.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Dynomutt

Chevy_mike, In the post just before yours I stated "I'm running CPP 4" drop springs and they are about a third of the diameter of the ones I removed (which I also installed about 3yrs ago)" and I too doubt that they have a 1/2 ton rating. That is more or less the issue I'm having.

Build Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomutt View Post
Chevy_mike, In the post just before yours I stated "I'm running CPP 4" drop springs and they are about a third of the diameter of the ones I removed (which I also installed about 3yrs ago)" and I too doubt that they have a 1/2 ton rating. That is more or less the issue I'm having.
Doh! Teach me to try to read when I am tired.

Everything I have heard about CPP spring is, they are using much lighter spring coils then ECE. I used a mic on my ECE and my stock HD springs and they were very close. Looking at them, they are almost not noticeable in size difference. Every pic I have seen of CPP, they look very thin compared to stock or ECE.

Not really sure there is much you can do, without adding helper air bags, coil overs (not recommended) or replacing with new springs. In the end, new ECE springs would be the best choice and in the grand scheme of things, not that exspensive.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
see ten
WTB this ad

The length of the shocks may not be the issue so much as the angle. The lower you get a vehicle without relocating the shocks, the more the shocks "lay down". They're more efficient when they're closer to being at the stock angles. Yes, it's possible for the long factory shocks to bottom out and yes it could cause damage to your mounts over a period of time. If you never bottomed them out you'd probably be fine...but they're still not going to have the damping effect that a set of correctly angled drop shocks would.

I've got no experience with CPP springs so I can't say if they are what's giving you your issues. I prefer to use ECE parts and have yet to have an issue with them.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Sicmaro
Always wrenching!!

What air bag set up is out there that can be run along with coil springs? part number?? I dont want to remove the coil and run only air bags. looking for a helper bag for trailer/loaded bed. something that is semi bolt in, dont feel like fabing up anything lol.
19 RZR XP4 turbo Dynamix
56 Belair 5.3/4L60E swap in progress
Sicmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
DANTIP

Longhornman posted info on an air-spring that is installed on the inside of the coil spring. The adjustability of the air-bag sounds very helpful.

You may want to do a quick search and find it.

Good Luck!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
OrangeCrush1970

Air shocks???

1970...71...72 C1500 aka Orange aka Sideshow Bob
540 BB Straub Roller Cam, AFR Magnums, XP 950, TKO 600
2 Tons of Fun
OrangeCrush1970 is offline   Reply With Quote