The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2002, 05:02 PM   #1
gmc-rob

Help, broken shift mechansim

went to back out of the drive way and something broke in the shift mechanism. Now it only works between neutral and drive. It has been hard to more for the past 6 months and I have tried to lubricate it without luck, what do I need to take apart to fix and lubricate, this is my only transportation at the moment. Thank you for your help. ROB
Opps, sorry about that, it is a 1972 Chevrolet Chyenne, it is an automatic with a column shift and the problem seems to be in the column part. The reason the mechanism is hard to move could be in the trans or the column but then there was a loud bang when I pulled on the lever as hard as I could to get the thing out of park and now the lever flops back and forth because it appears something in the column broke. Thank you for your help. ROB

After looking at the sitiation in the day light, the problem is in the column. I was able to manipulate the linkage from under the hood to get it into reverse to get to work but now I have to take the column apart to fix the problem, any suggestions or advise?
gmc-rob is offline   Reply With Quote