The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
ZombieWeinerDog

took it for its first drive

i took my truck out for a drive yesterday. had some small problems. first of the timing was not set and it was backfiring through the carb, the choke was not set properly (according to my step dad) we ran into a guy in a ditch and had to wait about 20 min. i turned it off. of course it does not want to start when its warmed up. i had to press the throttle all the way to the floor to start it. what else, lets see... when in first gear and i slam the throttle down it accelerates like a 18 wheeler. still needs work, also a valve is clicking a little. arent old trucks fun?

Edit: car show is this next saturday, hope its ready and it doesnt rain...

Edit: also no seat belts, and the steering wheel is off about 45 degrees

Last edited by ZombieWeinerDog; 05-06-2009 at 09:46 AM.
ZombieWeinerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
ZombieWeinerDog

Re: took it for its first drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieWeinerDog View Post
i took my truck out for a drive yesterday. had some small problems. first of the timing was not set and it was backfiring through the carb, the choke was not set properly (according to my step dad) we ran into a guy in a ditch and had to wait about 20 min. i turned it off. of course it does not want to start when its warmed up. i had to press the throttle all the way to the floor to start it. what else, lets see... when in first gear and i slam the throttle down it accelerates like a 18 wheeler. still needs work, also a valve is clicking a little. arent old trucks fun?

Edit: car show is this next saturday, hope its ready and it doesnt rain...

Edit: also no seat belts, and the steering wheel is off about 45 degrees
woops, not literaly
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
gonline71

ZWD,

Man I feel better. I just went through very similar issues....working the bugs out. I was desperate one day...my girls wanted a ride....backed it into the street and it died....clouds opened up...and my girls started singing..."were stuck, were stuck, were stuck". My neighbor and I tried to push the misaligned 4000 pound truck back into the garage....no luck. Stomped the pedal to the floor, it fired....managed to get it out of the elements. Stick with it....I just attended my first show and I still have a few bugs...gas gauge not working correctly, power steering leak, my steering wheel is off too, timing not quite right....
gonline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
ZombieWeinerDog

update:

fixed timing, valve. now there is a leak it the exhaust somwhere. windshield washer pump dont pump.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
red71c10
The Red Menace

Quote:
update:

fixed timing, valve. now there is a leak it the exhaust somwhere. windshield washer pump dont pump.
Those pumps never work when they get old. The seals go bad. Does it at least make noise when you push the switch? If so it can be rebuilt. There are kits available to rebuild the pumps, or you can buy replacements.

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
ZombieWeinerDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71c10 View Post
Those pumps never work when they get old. The seals go bad. Does it at least make noise when you push the switch? If so it can be rebuilt. There are kits available to rebuild the pumps, or you can buy replacements.
yeah it makes noise, but it doesnt pump. im not sure if it has to be primed or what but i want to take it out. any idea where it is? in the dash?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
red71c10
The Red Menace

Quote:
yeah it makes noise, but it doesnt pump. im not sure if it has to be primed or what but i want to take it out. any idea where it is? in the dash?
Right up under the dash close to the driver's side defogger vent. The pump is attached to the wiper motor and you'll have to remove both at the same time to rebuild or replace the pump. I'm sure it's the pump seals, they dry out and go bad over time.

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."

Last edited by red71c10; 05-07-2009 at 10:36 AM.
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
ZombieWeinerDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71c10 View Post
Right up under the dash close to the driver's side defogger vent. The pump is attached to the wiper motor and you'll have to remove both at the same time to rebuild or replace the pump. I'm sure it's the pump seals, they dry out and go bad over time.
easy to get to? ive got a car show the 16th and wont have much time to work on it.