The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
jbird76

my 70 project

Here is my project:

I have a 1970 c20 with a 350 and a unoriginal 4 speed. I am ditching both. I currently own a 99 suburban with a replaced L31 5.7 vortec with less than 7,000 miles. I also have found myself an nv4500 out of a 95 pickup. My plan is take the engine, harness, FI, etc. out of the suburban and completely transplant it into the 70. Then mate it up with the nv4500 and get a set of front disks out of a later model 3/4 ton truck.

I have two questions:

1. How will I handle the gauge situation? I know I need to go to a chip of some sorts, and I was looking at the Jet, but I really have no idea about chips, I have only done older carbureted things. Can I just hook up my factory gauges? get a set of aftermarket ones? Is there someone who makes a set for my set up, but is meant to go in an older truck?

2. How can I work the AC? The two years have different systems, but I am hoping I can use everything from the 99 in front of the firewall, and mate it up with what is left in 70. I am guessing that may be wishful thinking though.

Thanks in advance.
jbird76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
jbird76

Re: my 70 project

anyone?
jbird76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
nightmare

Re: my 70 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird76 View Post
1. How will I handle the gauge situation? I know I need to go to a chip of some sorts, and I was looking at the Jet, but I really have no idea about chips, I have only done older carbureted things. Can I just hook up my factory gauges? get a set of aftermarket ones? Is there someone who makes a set for my set up, but is meant to go in an older truck?

2. How can I work the AC? The two years have different systems, but I am hoping I can use everything from the 99 in front of the firewall, and mate it up with what is left in 70. I am guessing that may be wishful thinking though.

Thanks in advance.
Lets see if i can help any.

1. You will need to get different gauges for some of them. The speedo on the new setup is electrical, whereas the old one is mechanical. Also the oil pressure sending unit should be electrical too. You should be able to re-use the old sending tube on the new engine, and should be able to keep the stock gauge. As for the water temperature, that should still work. Now for the alternator, you'd be going to an internally regulated setup, instead of the externally regulated setup you have now. There are wiring diagrams around that show how to do this.

2. The best thing would be to leave the stock stuff on the truck, and use the newer compressor. you will need to either get a set of hoses made to hook the compressor to the condenser, or see if anyone makes those hoses already.

I hope this helps make things a little clearer.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is online now   Reply With Quote