The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
JohnyWard

Chevy 62' leaf springs on all corners???

Has any one swapped in the late model chevy 62 inch leafs in a first gen Blazer? What part did you use? How do they flex? Any unsuspected issue come up?

I'm about to begin a rebuild on a 71 Blazer with a resto-rock end in mind. I'd like to look like slightly modified stock with 4-6 inches of lift and the most flex I can get in that range. But it also has to have street manners.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
JohnyWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: Chevy 62' leaf springs on all corners???

Howdy, don't think I ever heard the term resto-rock before, what are you saying?

62 feet is a huge spring! hahahah just messing with you(look at your title).

DIY4X.com makes brackets you can install to modify your rig for longer springs.

I have never felt the need to do that mod. My rig does a great job flexing, I have alot of frame flex too as my cage is not tied to the frame and I like it that way..no high speed rollovers for me ahahaa
Good Luck
Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
JohnyWard

Yeah, I kinda made up the term. I figured it did sum up what I was trying to do; Factory appearing(ish) with as much flex as possible and good, if not updated, road manners.

Plus I'm on a quite restricted budget so a pair of flexxing springs for under $100 is looking pretty good.

I have seen the DIY4x parts on their site and they look great. Have you used them before? Will they accomodate the 62" springs? (you're right, 62 FOOT spring might be over kill! my bad) Is the shackle long enough to clear the frame under flex?
JohnyWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Burt4x4

I have a few things from DIY4X and they make great products and is a standup shop to buy from, I would call and find out if they have what your after. My spring hangers are stock so I don't know much else. Google it, you will find many online projects swapping springs.over at ck5.com in the first gen section there are a few that have done it...
I wheel some pretty knarly trails and I flex real good with Rancho 4" front (been on my front for more than 16yrs, so don't even know if they make them anymore) and 5.5" rear SuperLift SuperRide pack that has been on there for about 14yrs. So my spring packs are far from new wich helps with the fex also.