The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
AustinScott

Intake mounting alignment

anyone here use one of these vortec intakes?

The reason I'm asking is because, I can't seem to get the mounting hole to line up, take a look.

FRONT PASSENGER SIDE AFTER GETTING THE DRIVER'S SIDE LINED UP

BACK PASSENGER SIDE AFTER GETTING THE DRIVER'S SIDE LINED UP

EVEN THE 1" MOUNTING BOLTS ARE TO SHORT

I'm just going to return it and get an Edelbrock.
I sure hope its the intake and not my engine.
I am using the Patriot Cast Iron Vortec Heads, I sure hope they are ok,fitment wise.

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Intake mounting alignment

Interesting. I'd like to know the answer too.
Let's see if we can get this moved to "engine & drivetrain"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have installed a couple of these and had a similar problem. My problem was, like you I could not get the bolts started with a washer behind them. I would return it, and ask for another one. The ones I had problems with were not vortec, but were the same brand. after the second one, I quit usuing them , and went back to Edelbrock. I think the one you have is made offshore.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the bolts will not line up without the correct gasket in place. it will take a Fel-Pro 901312 IIRC. they are thick plastic and have a rubber bead around the openings. felpro also has a super high quality set with a stainless steel frame but those only come in a full set (upper and lower along with all other required stuff for intake replacement). look them up for a '98 K1500 with a 5.7 VIN "R".
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

you also need to get the bolts for said application and follow the torque sequence AND SPECS very closely. use blue thread locker. I could measure some spare bolts at work today if you want to hit the hardware store. IIRC the torque specs are; first pass= 40 in/lbs, second pas=80 in/lbs, third pass=137 in/lbs (11 ft/lbs), and finally go back over to make sure all are at 11 ft/lbs.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
AustinScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Interesting. I'd like to know the answer too.
Let's see if we can get this moved to "engine & drivetrain"

Thank You.

All my Google Albums
Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
AustinScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
the bolts will not line up without the correct gasket in place. it will take a Fel-Pro 901312 IIRC. they are thick plastic and have a rubber bead around the openings. felpro also has a super high quality set with a stainless steel frame but those only come in a full set (upper and lower along with all other required stuff for intake replacement). look them up for a '98 K1500 with a 5.7 VIN "R".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
you also need to get the bolts for said application and follow the torque sequence AND SPECS very closely. use blue thread locker. I could measure some spare bolts at work today if you want to hit the hardware store. IIRC the torque specs are; first pass= 40 in/lbs, second pas=80 in/lbs, third pass=137 in/lbs (11 ft/lbs), and finally go back over to make sure all are at 11 ft/lbs.
GREAT INFO... A bolt measurement would be great, as for the gasket, I bought a felpro-1207 set on the recommendation from the guys over a patriot.
I think I will cut my losses and get an edelbrock.
I was just in a hurry when I bought this intake anyways, and really wanted the RPM AIRGAP so I guess this will just nudge me in that direction.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Just one more reason why I feel guilty I haven't sent in my $25.00 yet. Maybe after I get the truck running I will come to my senses...

All my Google Albums
Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinScott View Post
GREAT INFO... A bolt measurement would be great, as for the gasket, I bought a felpro-1207 set on the recommendation from the guys over a patriot.
I think I will cut my losses and get an edelbrock.
I was just in a hurry when I bought this intake anyways, and really wanted the RPM AIRGAP so I guess this will just nudge me in that direction.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Just one more reason why I feel guilty I haven't sent in my $25.00 yet. Maybe after I get the truck running I will come to my senses...
That's the best thing you could do.....the Professional Products intakes are just Chinese copies of the Edelbrock intakes, but far from the quality. I bought one once off of ebay, and once I received it and looked it over I just resold it and bought an Edelbrock. I just don't like the Chinese crap.....
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Green Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That's the best thing you could do.....the Professional Products intakes are just Chinese copies of the Edelbrock intakes, but far from the quality. I bought one once off of ebay, and once I received it and looked it over I just resold it and bought an Edelbrock. I just don't like the Chinese crap.....
I agree, get an Edelbrock and I bet it will fit, I don't like those knock off intakes either, sometimes due to block and head variations is is hard to get a good intake to line up, throw in a badly made intake and you are just asking for problems.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote