The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
blazer2007

I rounded my brake bleeder,any tricks

I rounded my brake bleeder on rear drum brake,anyone have any good tips or tricks,I don,t want to take brakes apart
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: I rounded my brake bleeder,any tricks

Were you using an open end wrench rather than a line wrench? Try the correct size line wrench if its not stripped to bad. If not, vise grips might work.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive done this countless times myself and usually if its that tight the next problem is that the bleeder itself will snap off in the wheel cylinder.. ive successfully bled brakes by loosening the brake line and bleeding like youve do with the bleeder but its not the right way..
ive used a vise grip and it rarely works but sometimes it does... perhaps you should throw some pb blaster on it and let it sit a while

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 05-13-2009 at 11:30 AM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Just buy new wheel cylinders and be done with it. Drum brakes are easy to work on.

If you didn't, ALWAYS use line wrences when working on brakes.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Speedracer77

use a six point closed end wrench on the bleeder. 12 point will screw you most of the time. If it's too late, straight, not curved, jaw vice grips. perferably a pair with teeth that are still sharp. clamp them on as tight as possible. I have used big water pump plyers to clamp them on harder than I could with my bare hands. Crack them loose, not slow increasing force, but hard fast turn.

I personally do not use heat here. Brake fluid is flamable, and that can get exciting fast. Not in an "I won the lottery" way either, more of a "holy crap where is my fire extinguisher!" kind of way. IF YOU choose to use heat, (at your own risk of course) heat the cylinder around the bleeder, but after you already have the vice grips in place.

before doing any of this, keep in mind wheel cylinders are usually about $30 new, and come with a new bleeder. DO NOT try to remove the line with an open end wrench, a line wrench is made for this exact task. Straight jaw vice grip works for the line nut as well, but you can't clamp as tight, it will crush the line nut and possibly break it completely. Good luck!
Speedracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
mhicks

Water pump pliers, haven't heard that in a long time. Anybody know where that got that name? I do. Ha!
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I am with the others on this, just replace the wheel cylinder. It will end-up taking less time to just "bite the bullet" in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhicks View Post
Water pump pliers, haven't heard that in a long time. Anybody know where that got that name? I do. Ha!
I know guys that don't even bother to use the "pliers" part of the word anymore, they just call them "water pumps".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
dammitmitchell
the pollock

channel locks????
he he he

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Speedracer77

LMAO! You got me. They taught me channel locks in collage, but the "water pump pliers" comes from years of working with the old guys.

They often know the coolest stuff, don't cha know.
Speedracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I wouldn't heat the bleeder, the rubber cups won't take it. Spray it up good with PB or get some Heat riser lube from GM. Now take a punch and hold it dead striaght at the bleeder and give it a few good solid whacks then try to loosen it W\a 6 point wrench or socket. This hasen't failed me often unless the bleeder is real rusty, then just swap out the cylinders. Use anti-sieze on ALL your bleeders threads & always put the rubber covers back on to keep water\salt out. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Just clamp off the line running to the wheel cylinder. Shoot, you have 4 of them, missing one isn't going to hurt anything. LOL

Just Kidding!

Replace the wheel cylinder and be done with it. Oh, and get a line wrench for the brake line.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Tony@AirRideTech

Vice grips and a MAP gas torch gets her everytime. On extremly stubborn ones, I will soak with PB, heat up... soak again.... heat again and crank the pliers

almost forgot, if you are heating the fitting connected to the rubber flex line, be sure to put on some safety googles and stay the hell away from the line. it WILL blow it off.

Last edited by Tony@AirRideTech; 05-14-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: just cause.......
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 AM   #13
79blazer

+1 On the PB blaster. One of the few "magic fluids" that work.

The trick with drum brakes is to take both drums off and do one at a time... use the other one as a mirror image to see how it all goes back together.

"By the book" it should be noted that whatever you do to one side on the brakes, you should do to the other side.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech View Post
..... if you are heating the fitting connected to the rubber flex line, be sure to put on some safety googles and stay the hell away from the line. it WILL blow it off.
This sounds like a voice of experience speaking...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote