The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #1
pphatbasstard

Droping a 67 short

I have 67 short step with coils front and rear. I want to slam it with new springs. what is the deal with drop shocks? Are they just like regular shocks but shorter? Can’t I just go to pep boys or something and buy some shocks that r shorter than I have now then paying extra when I buy a drop kit? Or is it even that imperative to get new shocks? thanks felas
pphatbasstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #2
racindego

you dont need new shocks, the ones you have will work fine. the aftermarket tries to sell those drop shocks but you dont need them.

michael
racindego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:29 PM   #3
pphatbasstard

Thanks dude anyone else have any feelings one this?
Old 12-31-2002, 12:03 AM   #4
NSANE68!!!
SLICER AND DICIER

I disagree. If you go over 3" in front and over 4" in back , (on most vehichles) it requires drop shocks. Trust me I've dropped a ton of stuff.
95 Honda 900RR
05 GMC Siearra (company truck)
NSANE68!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:40 AM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I agree with Nsane 68, you should run shorter shocks with shorter springs.......or at the very least use shock relocator brackets on the milder drops. I have what i call (loosley) a 3/5 drop. Cut coil front, & axle flip rear, with relocated spring hangers(leaf on the longhorn). I am running Monroe gas shocks & shock relocators on both ends. I would say, much more drop than that, & shorter shocks would be manditory. As far as digging up a shorter stock shock to fit/work........I didnt have any luck. Good luck......crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I too think one should run a shorter shock with a 4-6" drop.

I just recently discovered a KYB shock that is shorter in length. It's a Gas-adjust part #KG5409 and I'm not sure, but I think it's a front shock for our trucks. The front shocks have one eyelet that's bigger for the top bolt, so it's not a direct swap. HOWEVER, with the shock comes a shim to use this on the rear-end. Make sure you get this cylindrical shim in the bolt kit. I have a 5" drop, an ECE shock relocater kit and these shocks and I'm very happy with my ride now. I had the KYB GR-2 from ECE and the new KYB's were about 1" shorter fully compressed.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:03 PM   #7
CustomChevy

droppin'

If you're gonna drop more than 3-4 inches, definitely use alternate shocks. You will also need to get a front end alignment afterwards. Otherwise, you will rub your tires bald really fast on the inside. Also, if you are planning more than 5-6 inches drop ijn the rear, you will need to check that your pinion angle is correct. Chances are, that you will need to correct the angle due to the change in height.

One other item would be to get new swaybar brackets for the front to help offset the drop. Early Classic sells them pretty cheap.

I think that's about it. Oh, when you get shorter shocks, just make sure they have the same load rating as the original or higher.

Good luck!

CustomChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:34 PM   #8
lofly'a

i agree on shorter shocks.......and this is why you need them. after you lower the truck and leave the stock shocks on, they are compressed and their damping abilities are almost zero. in other words, the shock is almost to the end of it's travel. shortened shocks are built to compensate for this and firm up the ride through firmer damping. good luck
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 11:08 PM   #9
pphatbasstard

Interesting guys. So it looks like i need to buy drop shocks but do I need to buy them with a kit or something or can i just get shorter ones at pep boys or some place like that?

thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #10
Project71

Question

Hey I plan on dropping my 71 short bed in afew weeks and I wasent for sure on how low I want to go. What is a good drop set up for these trucks ? could anyone show me pics of there drop set ups? thank you very much

-Brandon
Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock head covers
Edelbrock Gear Drive
K&N Air filter
Hooker headers
Flowmasters (40's)
Accel 8.8 plug Wires
Eagel Rods
Gm H.O. Crank
Crane Power Max cam
Autometer 5' monster w/ sift light

Mods Still yet to be done
Lowering 4'
(like to make it a 383 stroker)
Accel HEI Dist.
MSD 6AL Ignition
Put on my body parts I have
15x9 Stock Ralleys for the back
15x8 Stock Ralleys for the front

not to bad of a truck for me almost being 18
Project71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 04:54 AM   #11
68LSS1

I also think that when lowering the rear more than three inches that relocating the shocks is mandatory. They don't do much good when they are layed over.
68LSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 04:01 PM   #12
racindego

for what its worth, i lowered my truck at least 6 inches in the front by using tubular control arms and lowering springs. the suspension hits the bump stops way before the stock shocks bottom out. im not sure what you want to do in the rear, but with lowering blocks in a truck with coil springs, the shocks stay in the exact same location, you just move the rear up. i lowered my truck in the rear by removing the springs and shocks and using coil overs though.

michael
Old 01-03-2003, 07:38 PM   #13
crazy longhorn

when it comes to shocks, 'bottom out" isnt always the issue. The shocks need to be relocated, or go shorter to keep them in the center of their travel. I have custom brackets on the front of my longhorn with a cut coil drop(1 full ring). I agree, that the shocks would not bottom before the steer stop hit the corner of the crossmember, but they wouldnt work properly as a stock lengh shock with more than about 2" of drop. The rears are a different "animal".......when you drop, the shocks "lay down", & need to be stood back up to be effective. I have a good ride with a 3/5 budget drop, & stock shocks& relocators(both ends)& the rears have been moved back on the top to stand the shocks back up. With a 1 1/2" body drop on top of that, the old longhorn looks lower than a shortbased truck(just cause it so d@mn loooong).......crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 01-09-2003, 12:44 AM   #14
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

stock shocks with drop springs? sounds like suicide to me. since the shocks will extend longer, there's more of a chance for the springs to come out . not a good situation when you're going fast enough and hit a bump big enough for it to droop that much.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #15
racindego

you dont really want to use the shocks to limit suspension travel in my opinion. they arent designed with this in mind. If your suspension rises enough to allow the springs to come out, you should limit it with a bigger bump stops under the upper control arm, straps or however you want to do it, but i dont think its a good idea to use the shocks.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #16
crazy longhorn

Straps would probably be the best way to limit droop on the lower arms. I use a tall traction bar "snubber " under the top arms , &havent had any trouble with the springs bouncing loose. Even with the shocks unhooked, I can jack the truck up to let the arms droop, and the springs wont fall out of the pockets.......crazyL
Old 01-09-2003, 05:37 PM   #17
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by racindego
you dont really want to use the shocks to limit suspension travel in my opinion. they arent designed with this in mind.
i agree, they should not be used to limit suspension. however, if your using stock shocks with drop springs in theory, with the suspension in full droop, the springs COULD come out. with the proper travel/length on the shocks, they would be fully extended before this point occurs. but, its your @$$, not mine. run em how you want.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote