The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
youhaveamonkey

Alignment issues

Hi guys. I am not sure this is even in the correct forum. If it is not, Moderator, please move it. I have a stock 72 c/20. It pulls to the left and is wearing out the inside of the two front tires. It clearly needs an alignment.

I know that the pro shops just adjust the toe-in, Do you guys think it is possible to accurately do this by my self? Has any one ever done one, or is it worth having it done?

Thanks!!
youhaveamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
hwyix

Re: Alignment issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by youhaveamonkey View Post
Hi guys. I am not sure this is even in the correct forum. If it is not, Moderator, please move it. I have a stock 72 c/20. It pulls to the left and is wearing out the inside of the two front tires. It clearly needs an alignment.

I know that the pro shops just adjust the toe-in, Do you guys think it is possible to accurately do this by my self? Has any one ever done one, or is it worth having it done?

Thanks!!
Toe-in/out on the front wheels does not usually effect pulling to one side. It will eat your tires up though.

I would just take it to a shop and be done with.

If this was a race truck/car where you did 100 alignments a year, you might want to invest in some tools that will get you close. For a daily driver I would take it to a good shop that has hunter alignment rack. Make sure they do a FOUR wheel alignment. A lot of the times when a car pulls to one side it is because of REAR wheels.

I do not know what kind of shims/shackles adjustment your old truck needs I only ever worked on newer cars.
hwyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
youhaveamonkey

That is kind of what I thought would be said. but I had to check. Thanks for the input. I will have a four wheel alignment done. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
cdowns

before just taking it in i'd jack it up on jackstands and check balljoints tierod ends idler and pitman for obvious wear and replace what i could then take to alignment shop
nothing worse than taking in for an alignment and driving out with the list of worn out parts and having a truck that is still in need of alignment
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
youhaveamonkey

Well, I did jack it up. And Guess what. It needs a front end re-build, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, pittman and an idler arm. I am also going to put new shocks on it while I am at it. So, I will not be doing an alignment for now. You guys were right. Thank you.