The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
madaca

exhaust leak

It looks like I have some air escaping from the passengers side exhaust manifold where it connects to the exhaust pipe. I plan on replacing all the exhaust manifold gaskets this week on both sides. Would this cause my truck to not have a lot of power? Especially uphill.
madaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: exhaust leak

This won't cause power loss, but will cause you to be very annoyed. I can't stand exhaust leaks.

As for power loss, you said that your carb needs to be rebuilt. What kind is it? Also what is the rest of your engine set-up and when was the last time the timing was checked and/or tune-up completed?
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
madaca

Re: exhaust leak

Looks like I spoke too soon. I went back out and adjusted timing some more and now it has power. I was going by the white timing mark but this time I did it by ear and there is a big difference. Now it goes if I hit the gas and no problems going uphill. Still need to work out the brake problem in my other thread.

Oh and by the way the truck has a rebuilt 283 v8. New fuel pump, new distributer, new plugs and wires but I had to clean them today, new valve covers and gaskets, new intake manifold and gaskets and new air cleaner. Upgraded to a 4 barrel rochester quadrajet a friend gave me but needs to be rebuilt most likely. I have no idea how to adjust carbs so hopefully I can find some info on line on how to do that. It seems to be sticking when I try to start it sometimes but once it warms up its fine. I rebuilt the old two barrel I had so I should be able to do this one until I can afford a edelbrock.
madaca is offline   Reply With Quote