The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
bigdon-70blazer

Dash progress and question about lighter

Here are some pics of the dash, just about finished. I know how we all like pics so here are some. Also where exactly does both ends of the wires from the cig lighter plug in at? If anyone can get a pic of where they plug into the block I would sure appreciate it. One of the wires is the small lite and the other plugs into the back of the lighter. There is one slot marked "cig" on the harness block but I don't know which one goes there and where the other then plugs into. Going slow but am making progress. If I only had two weeks off to do nothing but this!
Attached Images

bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Dash progress and question about lighter

Niiiiice!!!! For your first restoration project big brother, you definitely have done well!! Bravo! The sandalwood and the olive look terrific together.

Can't help on the cigarette lighter since mine didn't have one. However, I the wire coming out of the back of the lighter will go directly to the fuse box, since it is a higher amp draw and needs a fused link. The light bulb wire will more than likely interface into the dash light harness because it will be powered when the dash lamps are "on"???

Just my .02. And again, beeeeeautiful!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-26-2009 at 08:30 AM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Niiiccce!

Boy that view looks familiar... Hows your back?
Im just about 2 weeks behind you (spent a whole HOUR putting that center nut on the dash pad last night.)
Ill take a look at my old harness tonight and see if I can find out where those plugs go (if no one else posts before then)
Sure wish you lived closer so we could compare notes. I laughed about wishing you had a couple weeks off to work on it. seriously
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Can't help with the wiring, but wanted to say that it looks awesome and your hard work is paying off!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Gotta agree, it's looking awesome!!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Gary 70 Jimmy

WOW very nice job I never hooked my lighter up I don't even have my light bulbs in my under the dash light every time I work on my jimmy I leave one of the doors open and the battery goes dead so I took the bulbs out.

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
cparman
sharp as a marble

EXCEPTIONAL!! Do you have an assembly manual? if so there is a wiring diagram in the back of it. I know that it is a pain to read thru, but think that someone on here sorted out the pages, and did a new index, so us old folks could find what we were looking for. The other option might be to look into on of the laminated wiring diagrams that are available. they are cheap, and in color ( old people need color wiring diagrams ) My Blazer has been cut a few times, or I would go look. VERY NICE!!!
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
bigdon-70blazer

I tried to read the wiring diagrams but I am a hick rube and I don't get it! I am a nurse anesthetist very technically demanding profession but that assembly manual I think you all would agree is INSANE to try to sort out. Thanks for your help and the great reviews!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

That looks great. What relay is that right next to your fuse block?

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubBlazer View Post
That looks great. What relay is that right next to your fuse block?
headlight relay

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Bentblazer

I'm jealous, great looking blazer-----Did you make it to Piggott? Costly trip for me, had to go back and pick up a 64 Chevelle I bought from someone at the show.
1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Magnuman

Looks great!
Where did you get your firewall insualtion and panels from?
Thanks.
Magnuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
bigdon-70blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentblazer View Post
I'm jealous, great looking blazer-----Did you make it to Piggott? Costly trip for me, had to go back and pick up a 64 Chevelle I bought from someone at the show.
Did not get there, had reserve duty with the Air Force. Sorry I missed it but glad you got another toy!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #14
bigdon-70blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnuman View Post
Looks great!
Where did you get your firewall insualtion and panels from?
Thanks.
Classic Industries and thanks. Helpful point though...do not throw the old one away until after you install the new one. It will help you determine where the stock holes for wires and such were at.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
72blue

plug the one w the bulb into the illumination terminal I believe in the upper right or one slot down, and the other to the cig term as it needs to be "hot" all the time.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

As near as I can tell. the red wire goes in the cig slot. (My female conector looks a little different than yours but it is factory) My old harness is a little deconstructed, so, Idont have a clue on that one.
What wiring harness are you using, mine is AAW classic update.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #17
bigdon-70blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
As near as I can tell. the red wire goes in the cig slot. (My female conector looks a little different than yours but it is factory) My old harness is a little deconstructed, so, Idont have a clue on that one.
What wiring harness are you using, mine is AAW classic update.
Mine is pure stock. Like anything on the assembly line at that time, they used a variety of stuff. The connector to the back of the lighter itself was really unusual and looked to be wrong but this is a totally unmolested 56 K mile rig so I am sure of the originality. My harness was in great shape and earlier counsel from the forum said I should use it if it was working alright so I cleaned it up, retaped it and here we are!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
Magnuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon-70blazer View Post
Classic Industries and thanks. Helpful point though...do not throw the old one away until after you install the new one. It will help you determine where the stock holes for wires and such were at.

Unfortunately too late for that.

Did you order the:

AS717 1967-1972 Firewall Insulation
or the firewall pads and the sound deadeners?
Thanks.
Magnuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
woodymm3

Poplar bluff..... Piggott? You guys are from my neck of the woods... i used to live in Jonesboro but now i am near seattle due to the navy.... Dang I bet the weather down there is nice... i miss the storms..
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
cparman
sharp as a marble

If all of the work in the pictures is yours, you my friend undervalue your talents!! Do you have a DVOM ( digital volt ohm meter ) If you do not go to radio shack and spend $20.00 or so and buy one. I think like someone else that the red wire will be hot 12v+ all the time to the cigarette lighter. They way you porve that is to use the DVOM. Sset it on ohms, and touch one probe to the end in the pics, and touch the other end to the connector to the lighter. if you have continuity, you will see a value on the meter, if you do not you will see OL ( open loop ). If you have a value you are touching both ends of the same wire. Wiring is not that hard, but you just have to want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon-70blazer View Post
I tried to read the wiring diagrams but I am a hick rube and I don't get it! I am a nurse anesthetist very technically demanding profession but that assembly manual I think you all would agree is INSANE to try to sort out. Thanks for your help and the great reviews!

Last edited by cparman; 05-28-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
bigdon-70blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymm3 View Post
Poplar bluff..... Piggott? You guys are from my neck of the woods... i used to live in Jonesboro but now i am near seattle due to the navy.... Dang I bet the weather down there is nice... i miss the storms..
Weaer is always changing as you can remember. 90 degrees yesterday, 84 today and scattered showers and storms. Tornado hit my house in 2002 while I was mobilized with the Air Force so storms are OK ...sometimes. Seattle is nice, is Ranier out? Nice talking with you and we here in my house love all you military guys, even the Navy military guys! jk don
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #22
bigdon-70blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
If all of the work in the pictures is yours, you my friend undervalue your talents!! Do you have a DVOM ( digital volt ohm meter ) If you do not go to radio shack and spend $20.00 or so and buy one. I think like someone else that the red wire will be hot 12v+ all the time to the cigarette lighter. They way you porve that is to use the DVOM. Sset it on ohms, and touch one probe to the end in the pics, and touch the other end to the connector to the lighter. if you have continuity, you will see a value on the meter, if you do not you will see OL ( open loop ). If you have a value you are touching both ends of the same wire. Wiring is not that hard, but you just have to want to do it.
I did all of the reassembly but paint and body work I am not able to do and farmed it out. I don't have the battery wired in yet because I am just now getting to the front of the firewall wiring but I do have a meter and will try out the things you told me.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
cparman
sharp as a marble

I am finishing a big projrct at work, 1957 Tbird engine, trans, new wiring, and A/C. The 57 birds have no fuse box, just a couple of in line fuse holders. They also use bullet connectors, so you could be really wrong quick. I will move forward with all of the things that WANT to go back together first, and slowly connect, or check what ever is making me unhappy. It is also my policy to check everything more than twice, and when I go home for the day the battery is disconnected!! I always assume that there is something wrong until I know everything is ok. I bet the red wire is the constant hot feed to the lighter. Take the time to look at your wiring diagrams. They look like spaghetti, but when I finally made up my mind that I was going to be better at wiring diagrams, I would sit down over lunch, or an adult beverage, and just start tracing one wire at a time. pretty soon everyone thinks you really know your stuff ! I still question that I do.

Chip
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #24
bigdon-70blazer

Cool and great advice! I will try that but the wiring diagrams in the chassis manual does not have the lighter. I will keep looking!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #25
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Subscribed, I will need to know the answer to this also
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote