The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
Davey

Steering Problem

I have a 1967 Chevy Pickup with a newer model front end under it, complete with Power Steering.

My problem is that it turns very sharp to the left, and not very sharp to the right.

How can I fix this?
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
oldspowered67C10

Re: Steering Problem

Problem is that the 67 frame doesnt have the "bump in" on the frame to clear the larger late style power steering box so the box sits too far outboard in relation to the frame. What happens is the when the center link is centered to the frame the steering box output shaft has to be slightly to the right so the piman arm will line up with the hole in the center link, causes uneven steering right to left and a sloppy feeling on center. I hope I explained that well enough.

Really the only fix is to somehow create the needed "bump in" on the frame. Some people have had good luck heating the frame and hammering it in, I just cut the whole section of the side of the frame out there and welded in a new piece that was already clearanced there. If you want I can post some pics, let me know.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Davey

Thanks for the info.

Don't know if I'll be spending that kind of money on this old truck. I don't even know of anyone around here that is capable of doing the work.

I'd sure like to see the pics you mentioned though.

Thanks again for the help.

Davey
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspowered67C10 View Post
Problem is that the 67 frame doesnt have the "bump in" on the frame to clear the larger late style power steering box so the box sits too far outboard in relation to the frame. What happens is the when the center link is centered to the frame the steering box output shaft has to be slightly to the right so the piman arm will line up with the hole in the center link, causes uneven steering right to left and a sloppy feeling on center. I hope I explained that well enough.

Really the only fix is to somehow create the needed "bump in" on the frame. Some people have had good luck heating the frame and hammering it in, I just cut the whole section of the side of the frame out there and welded in a new piece that was already clearanced there. If you want I can post some pics, let me know.
I wish I would have known about this when I raised my power steering box with 1/4" thick brackets... I never thought about WHY it turned sharper one way more that the other.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
oldspowered67C10

OK, heres the pics. Sorry about the poor quality, its 2 in the AM here and its dark in the garage.
Attached Images

oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote