The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

Help with this new sheetmetal!

well, i just replaced a huge dent with new sheetmetal on my 67 suburban, where the 4th door would be. well, the original wreck bent the skin brace in a little and i didnt notice it til after i welded in the new piece. the metal kept kinda popping in when you touch it, so i took off the door panel and i noticed the skin is about an inch away from the brace, so it keeps popping in. i cant just pop the indented part out, so i have to figure out a way to get a spacer in between the skin brace and the sheetmetal. heres a pic from the inside with the panel off, lookin at the brace and sheetmetal.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

please help if you have any ideas how to get this gap fixed in between the brace and metal.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
blakeaz33

Re: Help with this new sheetmetal!

Would it work if you cut out an opening for access inside the 4th door area behind the interior panel so you have enough room to work the brace into place, use seam sealer or panel adhesive once you get it where you want it and tack the piece behind the door panel back into place.??
blakeaz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
EighthD

Go the paint store and get a tube of flexable foam. We usa the 3m brand at work and it works very well. You just pump the foam in between the two panels and it expands. Just make sure you get the flexable kind because if you get the ridgid will worpe the metal.
EighthD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
craig24671

somebody correct me if im wrong, but I believe that is the window stop and not a skin brace, I believe that is the way it is suppose to be
Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
ebfabman

Yes that looks like a window regulator stop to me also. To fix the "popping" sheetmetal you can make a metal stiffener the shape of the door skin. Here is a pic of one for the lower door skin. Tack in place and check the outer skin for shape. If everything looks good, tack it in several places and that will keep the skin from moving
Attached Images

ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

good idea..im gonna have to make one tomorrow how long is that piece? and they didn't originally come like that right?
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote