The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
rlcasey75
BoomerSchooner75

Major help needed!!!!!!!

Ok i have a 75 chevy k-10 with a 350 motor and a th350 tranny. i just recently bought this truck and know it had issues. So i brought it to a mechanic and he said that the racing cam that the previous owner had put a racing cam that was too big for the motor in it and that the torque converter was stock. He also said that the engine had blow by and a poor ring seal. He says that i need a new engine which really is not an option because of money. i am just starting with this project and know little about engines. i was wondering what all this meant and if there are any resolutions besides a new engines. i am not affraid to get in to it an fix it i just need to know how and where i can find the info. so if you have any resolutions or and ideas i would really apprieciate it or just some moral support. lol HELP!!!!!!!!!
rlcasey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: Major help needed!!!!!!!

gl on the problem. but a friendly FYI double posting is a No No.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if you have blow by it means the lower half of the motor is weak ( too m uch clearance between piston rings and cylinders.. its time for that block to be rebuilt.... the PO prolly was trying to liven up the top end and ruined the bottom end in the process... find a good used motor and swap it in until you can afford to rebuild

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Bottom line is it's time for a heart transplant.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
rfmaster

A complete running motor (350) can be had for $300 around here (SoCal) The tricky part is having time to find it and ability to perform a swap. In the past I have swapped engines, with help of a friend, in a about day - going very slow. If you do go that route - makes sure that all hard to access gaskets (oil pan, front seal, rear seal) on your replacement engine are in good shape. A compression check is order, listen to it run before hand is a big plus.
For the most part common tools are needed (nothing fancy) just a good set of SAE wrenches, shallow and deep sockets, some RTV and plenty of elbow grease. Couple BFS to make things align, jack, jack stand, pans, rugs, etc Take notes where all hoses and wires have gone to on original engine - i.e. take pictures and use of zip lock bags prevents hardware mix-up.

Having done this (heart transplant) on more than a few occasion, on different makes (Chevys, ford, Mazda, BMW, Toyota), time and space to do it should be allocated - rushing to complete is a bad idea.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote