The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Question Corvette HEI????

I have been having problems with the HEI in my 350. I replaced the module a year ago, then about 2 months ago, and now, I believe it is bad, again. So, let's move on past the diagnosis stage.

I have searched the board for specific info related to WHICH HEI to use, i.e., truck, car, Corvette, etc. I am willing to guess that a '78-79 Vette small block (it's all the had) HEI would be a good choice. However, I see that I should also try Jegs, Summitt Racing, etc. MSD makes a killer module, but I'm at the point that I don't trust the basic distrubutor, i.e., the bushings, reluctor, etc. I don't really believe the reluctor would go bad, but I have changed everything in the distributor that can be removed and replaced without pulling the unit from the engine. I am giving up on this one.

So, does anyone have any knowledge about WHICH year HEI to use, and would a 'Vette HEI be any better than a truck or car unit? I know to stay away from the ESC units, which I believe were installed beginning in '80. So, from '75 to '79, does any one unit have a better performance capability than another?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

I for one have never heard of any year or model being better than any other. I'd get a solid unit and put Pertronix, MSD, or Accel hi-per cap/rotor/coil/module on it. There's several like that on ebay right now. I think a recent trip to 5k RPMs just cooked my module b/c now I have a miss.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:46 PM   #3
neonlarry

I don't think the distributrors are any different. If you are having problems with the factory modules, you have something wrong elsewhere. as long as the distributor isn't visibly cracked or broken, and the shaft doesn't have any side to side play, there is no reason to replace it.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Thanx. Been looking on the 'net, and find interesting info. Like AutoZone, O'Reilly's and CarParts.com all have same distributor part number (30-1895) with different pricing. Ranges from $99.95 to $156.99. So, went to Jeg's - blueprinted Accel for $138.99 or Accel Performance Replacement for $139.99. Summitt has their blueprinted distributor priced at $149.95. NAPA (in my town) has rebuilds for $124.95. Jegs are priced without cores. The 'Zone, O'Reilly's and Advance are priced with cores.

But it looks like it doesn't matter...I requested info both for a '79 Vette L48 and L82, as well as a 75 Chevy truck 350. No difference in data. Now, as far as replacement parts go, distributors seem to be standardized. I do know that it matters which vacuum advance it needs, with some (like the '79 Vette) having a different point at which it reaches total advance, compared to the one the truck uses....at least as far as NAPA is concerned. I doubt seriously if anyone else really knows or cares.

But, my distributor needs a complete overhaul, mechanically for sure.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote