The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
MRNURSE

frame question

hey all, first off like to say this is my first post. glad to be here.

ok, I bought a 72 swb "project" we will just call it a rust bucket....... anyways, taking it down to the frame and gonna start from bottom and work my way up. my question is with the ends of the frame rails. one of the P.O. cut the ends off to put on roll pans.........I want to put bumpers back on it. is there a company that sells peices of the frame like that that I could trim and weld back on to the tips so that the factory mounting locations are restored? or will they need to be fabricated? also if someone could post some pictures of the ends of their factory frame rails that would help too.

thanks
MRNURSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: frame question

Welcome to the forum MRNURSE. Glad to have another Texan on the forum. I don't know of a supplier that offer frame rail ends but that doesn't mean they are not out there. I am still learning about 67-72.

The easiest way to replace those ends would be to get a set from a donor frame. You might check for a "auto dismantler" in your area to see if they have a frame you could cut.

If not, consider subscribing here and posting a Wanted to Buy. I'll bet someone would make you a deal.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
MRNURSE

thanks, I will post in the wanted section.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-07-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNURSE View Post
thanks, I will post in the wanted section....
Welcome from DFW. To post a 'WTB' thread, you'll need to become a supporting member of the site per the rules when you signed up. It's $25 which is tough for some w/this economy, but well worth the combined knowledge & resources offered from this group of enthusiasts. It will allow you to post within the classified forums.

If the $25 is not in the cards right now, I agree w/N2TRUX & would check my local auto dismantler & you should be able to find what you need.

That being said, I'm about to do something similar. I'm going to possibly be cutting the frame horns off of a 68 frame & replacing them w/some from a 65 frame (they're different). If you can post up a pic of how much was cut from your frame, I might be able to cut mine in a way that gets you what ya' need.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-07-2009 at 01:37 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
dammitmitchell
the pollock

hey look another texan..
why not just go down to the junk yard and cut some off another truck?...that would be the easiest way to get the entire bumper assembly and everything from a junk yard..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
MRNURSE

I will take a picture when I get home.......working today. and I think that there was maybe 2 or three inches were cut off. I also need to grind off the tow hooks they welded to the frame.... I am taking the cab off on wed. this truck was RUSTY. I really do not think I will have any of the original truck there when I am done.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
MRNURSE

I will see if i can find a junk yard that has older vehicles in them. the local ones i know of do not have this old of cars in them........
Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

You mite be able to just buy some steel channel and make your own. I picked up a 4'' channel remnant yesterday to tie my rear rails together....its a 64, so mite be a different size for your truck, but its the same idea. Good luck and to the board.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
MRNURSE

i JUST WANNA SAY THANKS FOR ALL THE WARM WELCOMING!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
MRNURSE

the guy I bought the truck from has several old parts trucks that he is gonna let me chop some frame rail ends off of. what is the difference between the 5 and 6 lug rearends?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
the guy I bought the truck from has several old parts trucks that he is gonna let me chop some frame rail ends off of. what is the difference between the 5 and 6 lug rearends?
71-87 5-lug truck rear ends are wider (approx .750" per side) vs. the OE 64-70 6-lug rear. The exception would be if the axles have been upgraded/swapped w/aftermarket units in a 6-lug housing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
MRNURSE

he said it was a 6 lug rear that was put in to replace the 5 lug parts that were taken......... I am just courious if I need to get the correct year rearend or if I can use the one I have. the guy i bought the truck from told me that I could swap out just the axles but my bearings would wear out in a short time. he said he had a 5 lug rear end that he wants 200 for, is that alot? I am sure if will need to be rebuilt from sitting in the weather.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
he said it was a 6 lug rear that was put in to replace the 5 lug parts that were taken......... I am just courious if I need to get the correct year rearend or if I can use the one I have. the guy i bought the truck from told me that I could swap out just the axles but my bearings would wear out in a short time. he said he had a 5 lug rear end that he wants 200 for, is that alot? I am sure if will need to be rebuilt from sitting in the weather.
For $300 you can get new, stronger, correct fitting 5-lug axles that fit right in the 6-lug housing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG