The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
dlanders

Emissions Help

I went to get the tag for my truck today and have the title changed from Al to Ga and I found out I am not emissions exempt like I thought I was. My current set up is no cats and glass packs that turn down in front of the rear axle. My truck is an 85 but it has an engine out of a 74 and is set up to run like a 74. the smog crap hasn't been hooked up for 10 years or so. My question is if I could theoretically get by if I take off the stock manifolds and put on some long tube headers, run dual cats after the headers, and put my Flowmaster 40's back on. I also found out that Atlanta also has some stupid rule that the exhaust has to exit the vehicle, so no more turndowns for me. My flowmaster set up exits behind the rear tire. I am pretty ticked about this whole deal because I would be exempt next year.
dlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Emissions Help

Do you need to meet emission levels or just visual standards?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
dlanders

I have to meet both.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Nice ride you have there Mr Landers. There's not any way of knowing whether it would make it pass if it had cats or not, without trial and error. I would say that it would drastically improve your chances of passing, but there's no way for us to know if it's running rich, etc. What happens if you "attempt" the smog test and fail? I'm sure they won't revoke your license. Probably just make you improve the vehicle, right. So what are you out if you just attempt it?

Last edited by babyJay; 06-09-2009 at 09:54 PM.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
dlanders

If I was to fail it then I get 30 days to have it fixed and get a free retest. I took my DD to get it tested and asked the technician and he said I would fail the visual inspection without the cats. I just did a tune up a few months ago and it runs mabey a tad rich but I will lean it out for the test. I think Im gonna put the headers on it and run the cats right after the headers but buy the slip fit ones so I can take them out easily next year after its exempt. And pray that it passes the first time.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
dlanders

Thanks for all the replies but I think Im just gonna wait the 6 months until its exempt. I really dont want to spend the money for the cats for the chance it may still not pass. Well that and the wife says Im over budget lol. Oh well I still have plenty of other stuff to do to it. I think now is a good time to strip out the interior for a rewire.