The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
chevlwb68

6 lug hubcap conversion?

Okay, so most of you have seen my truck and wheels I did. I have a 68 c10 lwb. I think the wheels turned out great, but still am unsure of the big 4x4 caps I have. My wheels are post 73, 6 lug rallies that were used on vans and 4x4's. I just think the center caps are too big and take away from the rest of the wheel. I know there are the other smaller aftermarket 6 lug center caps I can get, but personally I just do not think they look right either.

My question is does anyone know of any aftermarket baby moon that is on the market that will work for these wheels. Maybe some type of conversion that snaps onto the lug nuts? I know it is a long shot, but worth a try. These wheels do not have the nub for the babies to snap onto. I heard someone talk about something on a previous post of this nature, but never saw a link or anything else on it.

Here is a pic of my wheels and truck for those who have not seen it. And also a pic of a hubcap of what I have in mind. Dosen't have to say chevrolet or have the bowtie, pic is just for example.

Thank you for any help. Maybe I am just too picky, but don't like to settle.
Attached Images

15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
chevlwb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Re: 6 lug hubcap conversion?

WHere did you find the center caps that are on the truck in the pics? I have been looking for something similar to that. Sorry I can't help on the baby moons. I know american racing has a pretty good inventory of caps in the accessories portion of their site.

Last edited by BluTrukker; 06-10-2009 at 06:56 AM.
BluTrukker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
fishingjred73

I had a set of the baby moons like that on my stock steel wheels before I put my rallies on. Got the caps from Chevrolet course that been about 17 years ago. Just reread your post I don't know if you going to be able to find a cap to fit on the rallies due to the rally doesn't really have a good lip for the cap to bite if that makes any sense.

'68 Stepside (ground up in progress)

My 68 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...side-t956.html

'81 SWB "Pap paw" (Driver)

The 81 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...-swb-t960.html

Member of
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/296290610747732/

Last edited by fishingjred73; 06-10-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: reread OP
fishingjred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have been looking for a different cap to run on my Rallies also.I have had no luck.I wish someone would make a clip that would hold a cap and bolt into the existing holes for the centers.Seems like a spring steel tab would be enough for a clip and three of them spaced would hold a cap but I can't find one and don't have the wherewithal to make any or I would be posting tham for sale.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 06-10-2009 at 06:44 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
57chevy406

Like the blue wheels. I have the 75 5 lug rally wheels painted body color on my blue 71 short stepside. I am using the smaller trim ring and the factory GMC centers. would be interesting to see what a baby moon would look like on this style wheel.
57chevy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
chevlwb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I have been looking for a different cap to run on my Rallies also.I have had no luck.I wish someone would make a clip that would hold a cap and bolt into the existing holes for the centers.Seems like a spring steel tab would be enough for a clip and three of them spaced would hold a cap but I can't find one and don't have the wherewithal to make any or I would be posting tham for sale.
I know, doesn't seem like it would be that hard of a thing to produce. I have been thinking of different ways to fabricate something like that, but my problem is lack of time.
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
chevlwb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTrukker View Post
WHere did you find the center caps that are on the truck in the pics? I have been looking for something similar to that. Sorry I can't help on the baby moons. I know american racing has a pretty good inventory of caps in the accessories portion of their site.
I picked them up at the Portland Swap Meet in April from some dude that had a ton of them. They were pretty thrashed, but I only paid $20 for the four. Put in about 5-6 tedious hours to get them to shine like that.
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
chevlwb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57chevy406 View Post
Like the blue wheels. I have the 75 5 lug rally wheels painted body color on my blue 71 short stepside. I am using the smaller trim ring and the factory GMC centers. would be interesting to see what a baby moon would look like on this style wheel.
Yeah I bought the beauty rings before I restored the wheels. They are 3" deep ones, but cover most of the rally silver paint job. Kinda wish I would have picked up the 2" ones to show off how good of a job I did on the wheels. lol.
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
mclairmo

I have never seen a baby moon type cap that will fit that wheel. You would need to buy an aftermarket 6 lug rally wheel to be able to run that style of center cap. I have your exact wheels on my 68 c10 and run a late model chrome plastic 6 lug cap that bolts to the wheel from behind and I run nice chromed lug nuts. It's much better than the factory 4x4 caps but not a baby moon.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
NONHOG

Somewhere on this site is a thread about adding dog dish caps to centerline wheels. The guy used 40's or 50's style cap retainers, little clips that were riveted to the original wheel. He did something differant and made an adaptor
of some sorts to attach them. I think it was a 50 something panel IIRC.
Pretty weak responce but maybe it can get you in the right direction.
Good luck !
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Those wheels are made by GM to use their caps utilizing their own unique fastening method.You won`t find an alternative to 6-lug center caps.Your only choice is othercaps or get creative with your own way to fasten hubcaps...and have them stay on as well as not be difficult to remove.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote