The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
hughnews1

PO of a 1971 murdered but where is the truck

and the guy that shot the wife and owner wants the truck for him :

From his cell on death row, Deparvine is suing Richard Van Dusen's estate to gain ownership of the vintage truck the inmate claims is rightfully his.

This isn't just jailhouse lawyer hogwash. During the past two years, Deparvine's lawsuit has cost time and money and caused a considerable amount of headache for lawyers, judges and Van Dusen's family.

Kroeger, the personal representative of her father's estate, says her only choice is to keep fighting. "The last thing I want is him to win or get a judgment saying that my family has to pay him for anything," she said. "He's already robbed us of so much."

Attorneys say such a lawsuit is unusual, but even a death row inmate has rights.

"Justice is blind," said Robert Vessel, one of Kroeger's lawyers. "He may have been tried by a jury and found guilty of murder, but until the appeals process is exhausted, he has hope."

• • •

Richard Van Dusen was just looking for a hobby.

A divorced guy who sold color copy machines for a living, he thought it would be fun to go to weekend car shows with his brother. He bought a meticulously refurbished red 1971 Chevrolet Cheyenne truck in the late 1990s. He washed it every week and won Best of Class trophies.

Then he remarried and spent more time with his new wife, less with the truck. He put the truck up for sale.

William Deparvine, a St. Petersburg steel construction worker just seven months out of prison, responded to the classified ad.

On Nov. 26, 2003, the day after Deparvine met with Richard Van Dusen, 58, and his 49-year-old wife, Karla, to purchase the Chevy, the Tierra Verde couple's bodies were found lying facedown in a dirt driveway near Old Memorial Highway in northwest Hillsborough County. They had been shot in the head.

Authorities said Deparvine came up with a calculated plan to rob and kill the couple but make it look like he bought the truck and someone else shot them. He went so far as to type up a bill of sale that included a $6,500 purchase price and Richard Van Dusen's signature.

He maintained his innocence at his criminal trial, but his scheme didn't fly with jurors, who found him guilty of the double murder and recommended death sentences.

By then, Kroeger had already hired a law firm to retrieve the truck from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, where it was being held as evidence. She wanted to make sure the truck never ended up in Deparvine's hands, conviction or not.

The lawsuit named Deparvine as an interested party, requiring him to provide a formal answer in civil court.

He went a step further and, serving as his own attorney, countersued.

Inmates who fancy themselves as lawyers usually aren't much more than an annoyance to opposing counsel. But Deparvine, 57, has a bona fide law degree that predates his lengthy Florida rap sheet.

His chief argument remains that the bill of sale proves he owns the truck. He has filed reams of handwritten court pleadings to make his case, forcing Kroeger's attorneys to spend far more time on the case than they ever anticipated.

"I will have to give him credit," said Vessel, one of the attorneys. "He's one of the best jailhouse lawyers I've seen."

However, by the time Deparvine gained speed on his civil efforts, Richard Van Dusen's estate was closed and the Sheriff's Office had already returned his truck and other belongings to his family.

Kroeger, 36, said she sold the truck soon after Deparvine's conviction.

It was too painful to keep, she said. A cousin helped find a buyer because, after what happened to her father, she was too scared to sell the truck on her own.

• • •

So, what to do about a truck that Van Dusen's family no longer has and Deparvine wouldn't be able to drive anyway?

Last summer, Hillsborough Circuit Judge James Arnold granted a summary judgment that deemed Van Dusen's estate the lawful owner. In boldface type, Arnold pointed out that a criminal judge had already found that Deparvine killed the Van Dusens for the truck he now sought.

Arnold also noted that Deparvine never possessed the title or filed a claim against the estate for the truck in the probate case.

Other than Deparvine's word, there has never been any evidence that he paid for the truck.

Much to the dismay of Van Dusen's daughter, the dispute isn't over. Deparvine has appealed Arnold's ruling to the 2nd District Court of Appeal.

Legal types don't think the death row inmate has much chance for relief from the higher court. But Kroeger, who works part time in medical billing, isn't taking any chances. She reluctantly hired an appellate attorney recently and expects to pay a couple of thousand dollars for his services.

Theories about Deparvine's persistence abound.

Housed in a 6- by 9-foot cell at the Union Correctional Institution in Raiford, he has a lot of time on his hands and little else to do. He may be looking for leverage in the murder cases, hopeful that a favorable ruling on the civil side would bolster his criminal appeals.

So far, the Florida Supreme Court has upheld his convictions and sentences.

In his civil filings, Deparvine says he isn't trying to harass Van Dusen's family. Kroeger doesn't believe him.

Neither does the homicide prosecutor who helped put Deparvine away.

"It's disgusting," Assistant State Attorney Jay Pruner said. "They're getting victimized again."
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs down Re: PO of a 1971 murdered but where is the truck

That is sickening. Seems like criminals sometimes have more 'rights' than their victims, their victims' families, and the rest of polite society.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Southern C10
Is it done yet?

Re: PO of a 1971 murdered but where is the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
That is sickening. Seems like criminals sometimes have more 'rights' than their victims, their victims' families, and the rest of polite society.

John 3:16

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398108
Southern C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Dave Reed

I guess I will never sel my truck, just horrible!
Dave Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have 5 kids, and 9 grandkids that can fight over mine, after I'm gone. Right now, they'd be fighting with each other over who HAS to take it

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
truckpoorpackrat

Ok maybe I missed something, but if this guy bought the truck, where is the money. Can he prove he paid for it other than the bill of sale(bank withdrawal, check ?) Was the money found ?
truckpoorpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
70rs/ss

NO, he can't and that is why this POS needs a shankin' He is doin' this to pass the time at everyone else's expense. They need to shut him up like they did to Manson, no nothing in or out for Charlie!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
They need to shut him up like they did to Manson, no nothing in or out for Charlie!
I would much rather see him get what Charlie was supposed to get before -- and quickly!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
70rs/ss

Uh, I'll second that!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Big J'72 GMC

ya, I've always said its better just to kill scum like that as soon as there convicted, just a huge waste of tax money right there
Big J'72 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
70rs/ss

I hope in the future we move towards an immediate hearing and carrying out of death sentences, for murder, I mean we catch folks red handed (sorry, not a sick pun intended) at the scene yet they are wisked off to jail and trial where they drain the taxpayers for years, and maybe just maybe when they are near natural death we bump em off, but only after 20-30 years of torment to the family of the victims!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 06-10-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
yote1234

thats why we need to back up many years!!! and make these guys brake rocks for 15 hours a day. then they wont have the time to study law ect! too much time on there hands..
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

I remember seeing this on some TV show. Never realized it got turned into this twisted mess. The courts need to stop him for filing friviolus (sp?) lawsuits...then send him to his maker.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

70 you may want to move a couple states east.Tx has instituted a law where they do send a convicted murderer to the front of the line on Death Row if there are credible witnesses.They ain't afraid to use the death penalty in Tx either.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
OARNGESI

I think i seen this story played out on court tv a while back it really sounds familliar
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
chevychase

yeah, I remember seeing this on TV too... just a shame!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

glad i moved from pinellas country fl. lol

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #18
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Makes me want to never sell anything... ever...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
70 you may want to move a couple states east.Tx has instituted a law where they do send a convicted murderer to the front of the line on Death Row if there are credible witnesses.They ain't afraid to use the death penalty in Tx either.
If I move east, then that would be the land of Chicago...and why would I want to move there????

"Most states have a moratorium on executions, MY state is putting in an express lane"---Ron White (as close as I can remember that line)

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #20
Naterman35

Thats what i hate... inmates convicted of murder or rape or something else horrible... There on death row for dang 30 years.

So there sitting in jail... clothes on the back food in there stomach roof over there head... yet theres children who have done NOTHING wrong suffering...

Stop wasting our money on some low life on death row... give him a shot line up some gunmen a rope even... do something get them off our hands and let that money i don't know pave a road feed a kid give a school a few new computers...
Naterman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #21
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

Firing squad!! Any volunteers????
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #22
bigsnookmaster

I live in St.Pete and remember when this happened. Because of the way society has become,whenever I sell something,I always have a friend with me when I make any kind of transaction like this,and there is always a loaded gun readily available. It sounds kind of redneck, but that is the way I believe it has to be. Especially down here. I also believe we should have "PUBLIC HANGINGS WITHIN A WEEK" when individuals like this do these kind of things. If it's a cut and dry situation, string em up on Saturday, and let everybody come and watch, and see what happens to the crime rate! I hope I didn't offend anyone, I'm just venting!My .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #23
leddzepp

I remember seeing this on Forensic Files a while back. The prisons are overcrowded as it is...I think execution is the solution.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

I cant beleive these people are stupid enough to play into this f*****g idiots game. "People on death row, have rights too" Bull sh*t. I think they gave up those rights as soon as they did something bad enough that landed them on death row. What a waste of oxygen. Someone shank this piece of sh*t.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
bigsnookmaster

X-2
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote