The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
JJanzen

Experience With SMS Auto Fabrics

I would like the upholstery on the seat of the truck I am building to match the 514 Red exterior color....not the factory red vinyl. I have been speaking with SMS Auto fabrics and they have indicated they can "create" that color. Does anyone have experience with them and if so, I would love to get your opinions. Thanks. Joel
Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
ddp

Re: Experience With SMS Auto Fabrics

I happen to have been dealing with them over the last couple of months with mixed feelings. I could go on for quite awhile about it but will try to keep it short.

First of all, you need to be very specific about what you want and are expecting. Since you have no catalog or online product reference to go back to. Over the last couple of months, I ordered a set of door panels and a seat cover from them because I thought that they custom made their own product. While I never specifically asked the question, I felt that the pricing reflected it and I knew others who have gotten just fabric (that was correct) through them before.

The seat cover that I just bought came with a PUI tag in a PUI box turned inside out for shipping to me. The price was quoted over the phone and "mis-heard" by me. When I saw the charge for a couple of hundred more than what I heard, we agreed to split the difference. They will run the charge through before you hang up the phone but I have been waiting for a week for the credited difference.

I don't know, but suspect that the door panels are from PUI also. That's not a problem in itself, but if I knew that they were reselling PUI stuff, I could have shopped it around a little.

Now don't get me wrong, it's all nice stuff. (I don't know how well the seat cover fits yet because it hasn't been installed yet.) I just feel that it was misrepresented as made by them.

Just be very specific and see if you can get it anywhere else for comparison. And don't expect any "quick" refunds. So much for keeping it short!

Don
ddp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have requested two different samples and they have been more than cooperative in that effort. Both times, the request was done on-line and required the OEM color code for the upholstery.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I have purchased material from them, toured their facility and have seen some of their work. It was all quite incredible. They have the original materials and equipment to heat press the stitching in OEM covers and will do this if requested. I had them quote door panels for my '68 50th Longhorn and they were EXPENSIVE..about $400+ for two as I recall! I found perfectly acceptable door panels from PICKMUP for much less. I would expect to pay upwards of $1000 for an "exact replica" set of seat covers from SMS...if they made them in their shop. I am not surprised that they are reselling products from other suppliers but I would REALLY like to know that before spending a premium!!!!

They do the best EXACT interior restoration work I have ever seen! I would not buy PUI covers from them and you should not either. So sorry you had a bad experience with this...I would be PI##ED too!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
ddp

I'm really not mad about the experience and I'm not saying that I would never use them again. They do have access to all the right stuff. I just feel a little mislead from a lack of clear information. I figure that I just learned something about this hobby - ask all of the questions.

I did get nice stuff. I just feel like i paid a premium when I didn't necessarily need to.

Don
ddp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

ddp, I guess we all end up "paying" a little more for our "education" than we want at times. I hate it when I do that! I wish they would have told you...I will now have to warn people that I refer to them!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote