The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

cages..???

how did you all mount your radio cages? I "think" I cut the hole a little to big when I did it 5 years ago. and I didn't do a very good job at it. *hey, I was 18 and it was my first time lol* and I can't figure out how to get my radio to stick out enough for me to put my trim plate on. it also doesn't help that when my truck was broken into about 4 years ago the S.O.Bs tried to steal my radio and the only thing they could get out was the cage and they tweaked the cage a bit and broke some of the tabs. so I got the great idea to JB weld the cage to the truck . which all worked till today, when I was trying to take the radio out to do the wiring correctly this time and the cage came out. so now I have to put it back in. and I thought I would ask for some tips from the radio gurus. Oh, BTW the reason they didn't steal my radio is because I had to bolted down.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
dammitmitchell
the pollock

Re: cages..???

well one thing i have done is take scrap sheetmetal and either tac weld it into place or rivet it,on the front side
the stereo "plate" will fit hidden below your dash bezel no problem and it will move the radio towards you a little bit more so you can snap on the dressing yourself..
that's jsut my two cents
i personally think the radio kits with the big plastic spacers are freaking garbage...
also.. on a harder mudded truck i made little "gussets" to support the radio's cage to stop it from bouncing so bad..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote