The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
donelan07

Grant Steering wheel issues

I am trying to instal a grant steering wheel in my 72 chevy. I have a few problems when its installed. The adapter cover its the column itself when you turn. The horn is on when I connect the battery and the blinker handel is to close to the wheel so I figured I would just bend it? Hope someone can help or I am putting the old one back in. Thanks

Old 06-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Re: Grant Steering wheel issues

Well, I have no answers. Just sharing your pain. When I went to install, seemed so easy. i couldn't get the horn to stop blowing when I turn. I took it apart.
A buddy installed it for me as a surprise. Still works great after 15 years.
BTW, nifty design of the wheel. I like. Retro.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Is the adapter kit a genuine grant brand adapter? Some of the cheaper knockoffs will give you problems. If it is a genuine Grant adapter, the problem with your horn is you haven't pulled the little brass part off of the horn adapter. The instructions should explain that if you still have them. Once you pull the brass part from the adapter, you will have to tape the white spring retainer to the wheel adapter while you install the piece on top of it. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
donelan07

It is a GRANT PART # 3163 adapter. Should I trim the black cover so it doesn't touch the column?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Your right to bend the indicator stalk...just remove it and bend it back till you got decent hand clearence, it could be sitting to far forward anyway. The black collar could be set further from the column by just using a small washer on each of the three fixing holes on the backide of the collar, what Wes suggested for your horn prob will see you right. The collar on my Grant wheel has the opposite prob about a 3/8" gap.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

You shouldn't have to trim anything. The reason your turn signal lever is so close to the wheel is because you went from a stock wheel with a dish to one that is flat. So the only fix to that is to bend the turn signal lever. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

You have a couple things to look at.

First, I think you mean the cover hits the turn signal housing, not the column itself. The turn signal housing seems to have been assembled or reassembled a little "off" based on your 7th pic. They have 4 engagement "tabs" that go into notches in the shifter housing (I know you don't use the column shifter, but there's a dummy housing behind the turn signal housing) then the turn signal housing has to be turned to the right position and the turn signal assembly screwed down into placed last...your 7th pic shows something wasn't quite flush the last time everything got tightened up.

Also, you should make sure your new wheel has about 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" dish in order to sit in about the same place as the factory wheel without interfering or discomfort. The turn signal stalk is chromed die-cast (aka "pot metal") so don't expect it to stand up against much bending or exertion...heat could help but I'd personally spend $25 or less on the proper wheel to begin with...anyone who doesn't have that option, could also look into getting one of the "dress-up kits" that come with an aluminum turn stalk that's not as brittle as pot metal; I will always recommend trying to modify a part you won't sell or use if you remove it, before spending money though.

I would gamble that one of the two issues would also resolve your horn contact grounding out but it would be a tossup between which one...anything can cause the grounding, including a pinched horn wire inside that misaligned housing. On mine, when I dissassembled the housing I discovered 8 housing-style wire nuts holding together the turn signal harness where a previous owner had cut it apart instead of working around it! Try not to have nightmares tonight.:-D

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
donelan07

Well I figured it out. I found the directions and wasn't reusing the original plastic part for the horn. Fixed my horn problem and the rubbing on the column. I bent my blinker lever and it looks like its ready for a spin if I can get the brakes fixed today ha.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelan07 View Post
well i figured it out. I found the directions and wasn't reusing the original plastic part for the horn. Fixed my horn problem and the rubbing on the column. I bent my blinker lever and it looks like its ready for a spin if i can get the brakes fixed today ha.
pic.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
donelan07

Here are some pictures. Thanks for the help. I added some pictures of the directions. Maybe this will help someone someday.
Before Picture

After