The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2003, 05:29 AM   #1
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

Exclamation Emission Controls?

Hey'a everyone. Good to see some familiar faces on another board, but I do have a question hopefully some of you will have an answer to.

I have a 1973 C-10 1/2 ton pickup truck, not from California. I need to know what the stock emission equipment was, or where I can find this information out.

The reason?

Arizona Revised State Statues :

28-955. Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception

D. Beginning with motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines of the 1968 model year, motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines shall be equipped with emissions control devices that meet the standards established by the director of environmental quality.

I see this as being a potential problem, when some podunk law enforcement officer decides he wants to just be a jerk towards me - He could ask me to pull open my hood and then pop me with a $100 fine for lacking emission equipment!

Anyway, so if anyone knows where such information could be obtained. I'd be very happy.

Thanks, Jeff
CHaingKaiShek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
Bowed

safe

The latest Az inspection booklet I have calls out for only a fuel cap check for 67 to 74 years . On 1975 up they require a cat ,air injection system , pcv , canister and fuel cap seal . Any inspection station will have a the master book with the information on what the factory had on any model in any year and that is what they follow. Even at the inspection stations there are many variables and exceptions they will allow because different situations and judgement calls , so I am not sure a basic road officer would know more then you on a 73 and I would not be afraid to tell him that and make him prove he was right .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #3
PHOENIX

You are only required to have what your truck was manufactured with (as far as emissions and safety systems). Check your sticker under the hood and see what it shows on there. Thats your list of components right there, make sure you have that stuff and you should be fine.

Do you have problems with police over there? It would suprise me if a cop stopped you and required you to pop the hood, unless it really sounds like you got somethin' under there.