The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
Truckstr

Anybody have any Demon experience??

No, not exorcism.

I'm looking at buying a new carb. I have a new RPM AirGap manifold that is begging for a new carb. Most of my experience with carbs has been with the Rochester Q-jets, but the AirGap requires a square flange carb, not a spread bore (I know I could use an adapter, but I really want to stay away from them unless I have no other choice).

The way I see it, I have my choice of an Edelbrock Performer, a Holley or a Speed Demon.

I want something with an electric choke, and vacuum secondaries (although I would consider mechanical secondaries).

I'm going to be installing it on the 350 that's in my truck now and will be shifting it over to the 406 when it's finished.

Those Speed Demon carbs sure do look sweet, but I don't know anybody that has one.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. I posted this over on the Engine board but only got a couple of looks so far. More traffic here. Sorry.

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Besides my ex-wife, no. Oh, my son-in-law may read this. Oh well, he'll understand.

Edelbrock Performer - square bore - can be had with the electric choke on the model 1405, I believe. You can get a kit to jet them however you wish. I pulled a 1401 off of my truck and replaced it with an Edelbrock Q-Jet #1901. It was a good move for me. I have their Performer intake, not the Performer RPM. Everything is good, as far as I am concerned.

There are some folks who speak well of the Demon carb, but I don't know anyone who has one. Surely, others will respond to your post.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

I had a 650 double pumper ( Double pumper must be registered to holley. Demon uses the term "double squirter" ) on a previous project. The fit and finish were miles ahead of holleys. Couldnt say it ran any different than the holley but it sure did look good.

My personal best experience with a performance carburetor was one that I pieced together witha proform main body ($99 Jegs) a new holley base plate/throttle plates assy ( $89 from holley ) and the rest from a totally won out old holley that I bought at a flea market for $20 and a $30 gasket set. That thing ran as good as a holley HP at less than half the cost.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:17 PM   #4
Truckstr

That's an idea, mikep.

But the costs that you list add up to a new Edelbrock Performer carb. from Summit.

I'm not just into looks, and the cost of a new Demon is higher than either the Edelbrock or the Holley, but Barry Grant has an exceptional rep. - and it sure does look sweet.

I can't seem to get my eyes off of it, but won't take the plunge without more than a couple of people (somewhere - that I feel are not giving me a line) saying that the Demon is a good carb.

I'm leaning, but...

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

I have a edelbrock on my truck now, It's a pretty good choice if your on a budget, If I could do it over again I would get a demon(they just look so much cooler)
Old 01-03-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Truckster,I was a Holley "nut" for several yrs, but as I get older I dont have the time to spend tuning them(got an old house to rebuild also!) if you are running mostly street, i would go edelbrock. I ran a 3310 Holley on my 383, & it did havea little more upstairs than the 1407 edelbrock, but the edel has pretty good street manners, very responsive. I would go for the 1411 elect choke version, as they are a little leaner, & should work out better on the 350. When you swap to the 406, you can do a little rejet, & should be good to go. If you plan more strip action than street......I would say go holley. The 3310 Holley 750 is very tunable , & can be run on 350-455 cid engines with a little tuning. as far as the demon, I cant give any advise there ,as i havent tryed them. Good luck.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote