The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
Orange77

NEED HELP!!!! Why wont it Start

Ok i am usually on top of any problems i have with my truck since its my only means for transportation. I had my top end rebuilt a few months ago because i noticed i was loosing power. I thought my head gaskets were blown so i had my mechanic check it out since i was still in school and didnt have the time. Turns out the gaskets were blown but the heads were cracked on top of that. after i swapped them out for better ones (202's) i also added a new cam, intake, timing chain, and starter because i had issues with the old one. when i got it back i then had issues with the distributor. the pickup coil went bad so i got a new one a Tailor one to be exact. then a week or so later the alternator was messed up. i swapped that one out with a new 100 amp chrome alternator and everything was working good. i had to move the battery ground since i also slapped on a chrome alternator kit since the alternator was chrome. i moved the ground to the frame. i sanded it down to bare metal and left it at that. a couple weeks later it didn't start again. i was told it was the ignition switch. i didn't believe the guy at autozone so i demanded a new battery. after i got it i went to checkers to get the switch to prove the guy at autozone it wasn't the switch. i swapped switches and the new one was bad i put the old one back on and it worked so i put everything back together. then it wouldn't start. i pressed down on the plug that goes to the neutral safety switch and it worked perfectly. i have been left stranded about 4 times. when i go to start my truck nothing happens. no clicking noise nothing but everything works and everything turns on. i can jump start it and it will start but it will only last about 3 starts. i took it to my mechanic who takes care of the big stuff. he checked the voltage on everything (alternator, starter, distributor) and everything checked out,nothing was pulling power from the battery.He did move the ground to the block and said that could be it. i then went up the street to autozone and had the battery checked to see if it had been drained from sitting over the weekend before moving the ground to the block. it checked out as well. i go to start it and nothin happened. i walked back to the shop he told me to bring it back. when i got back to autozone the damn thing started right up. went to the shop and it started the 5 times i shut it off and turned it on. it seemed to be ok until again tonight i went to a friends house was there for about 2 hours when i went to start it it didn't wanna start again. i tried a couple times then it started. when i got home i backed it in to my parking spot and shut it off. shut everything inside off. then went to start it and nothing. came inside tried messing with the neutral safety switch and nothing is happening. I cant figure out whats going on. I know its a LOOOONG story but i wanted you guys to know everything. from when it started until now. i would greatly appreciate your help and input. I forgot to mention i do have a viper alarm system if that means anything. i dont think its the problem because it arms and disarms as well. No power locks and no power windows either.
Orange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
81K5Blazer
The pool guy

Re: NEED HELP!!!! Why wont it Start

I had a similar problem a few years ago in my Camaro. In that particular case it turned out to be the ignition module. You might try pulling that out and having the parts store check it.
I am not really familiar with alarm systems but I can see how that could be a problem as well. Personally I would start with the Ignition module though.
81K5Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
East End K5

Don't get frustrated....you'll figure it out. Check all your wiring, make sure all your grounds are clean and touching bare metal. Check your starter solenoid too. You may have power sitting there but it may be shot. Stop buying parts from Autozone too...that will help.

[B]1972 Chevrolet K5 Blazer RIP
1986 GMC Sierra K3500 1TON, Long Box, V8350 RIP
1980 Chevy Silverado C30 Cab and Chassis, 454 TH400HD. RIP
[B] 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 2D [B]
East End K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
D13

OK, let's see if we can sort this out.
You have power in the cab, but when you turn the key to start, the engine does not crank over.
#1 When you go to start the truck a big surge of power is needed, in particular, you need to provide HOT and GROUND to the starter. When you moved your ground to the frame you removed the ground path for the starter ! Put it back! Right now you are probably using the little body ground (cab to engine) as the ground and you will have problems. Oh, and if your missing that, you're probably grounded thru your trans which will erode the bushings (sounds stupid but BTDT). So get the main ground back to the engine.
#2 when it won't start turn the headlights on. When you turn to start they should dim and the starter should turn. If they go out but the engine doesn't turn over you have a bad main connection (see #1, or cable at starter or battery). If they dim but the engine doesn't turn you most likely have a bad starter / solenoid. If they don't dim a bad wiring connection (check at the starter first), bad switch,or bad solenoid.

But get that ground back to the engine, or run a large separate ground frame to engine.
Plus a mess o' tractors

Last edited by D13; 06-19-2009 at 10:36 AM.
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Orange77

thanks for your input so far guys went outside this morning and checked the battery cables and everything looked fine nothing is loose. D13 the negative cable is on the block already thats what my mechanic changed when he checked the voltage on everything as far as the starter, distributor, alternator. LOL thanks for the advise on the Autozone parts East end k5 but i never buy parts at autozone except for the battery because i some how got a pretty decent discount on it otherwise i get all of my other parts from a local hot rod shop called Dons Hot Rod Shop. and 81 how could it be the ignition module if the distributor is brand new. Its a high performance Taylor wire distributor.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
fixit-p

You mentioned it has a viper alarm system, if it has a relay for the starter disable that could be your problem it's should be under the dash somewhere and possibly wired in series with the neutral safety sw. X2 on the ground it will find a path and arc across bearings and shafts (same thing goes for welding)
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Orange77

how would i know what the relay looks like fixit? im thinkin it has to be that since everything on the damn thing is new except the water pump
Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Joe R

If you have an ignition kill relay try to start the truck with the alarm on when its starting regularly. If you have an ignition kill relay it will not start with the alarm on.

Starter kill relays are usually 1" square box, black in color with 5 spade termimals coming out one side. IIRC Viper uses Bosch relays for their ignition kill setup. Sometimes people wire the switch in with the ignition hot lead as well so check there as well as the neutral safety switch circuit for it.
Joe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
fixit-p

It would look something like this may or may not have the mounting tab...Terminals 85 and 86 are the coil side and 30=common 87a=normally closed and 87=normally open contacts (switch side)
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if all else chacks out like the starter battery and alternator its definately the alarm.. Just for jokes i would go underneath and make sure all the wires on the solenoid are tight and go from there but im still betting its the alarm

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Orange77

hey joe i went and tested it like you said and it worked. it wouldnt start with the alarm on just like it did last night when i was leaving. i have to work but when i get home im gonna mess around with it. I think ive seen the box before but what exactly do i do to it? check for a ground or what?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Orange77

ive seen that relay before fixit i believe mine is a white one. what do i do to it? make sure the wires are secure on it?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Joe R

Check the wires, if that doesnt do it replace it. I've had relays wear out in ignition kills before, its a pain. If youre not really worried about it, I would remove the ignition kill all together. They really only stop joyriders, real car thiefs wont be slowed down by them.
Joe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
fixit-p

Pull the relay and look at the wires on the plug jump the wire going to terminal 30 and the one going to 87a or 87 (depending on how it's wired) that will bypass the relay. Agree with Joe R the basic starter disable wont stop a thief but you can get real creative with relays.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Others have given you some good advice, but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in as well. First of all, just because a part is new (as you proved with the ignition you had bought) doesn't mean it's good. Here is a list of the things I would be suspect of, in no particular order. I realize others have mentioned these things....

1. Ground. You can never have good enough ground. Tie everything together. Strap the frame to the body, the body to the motor, and the frame to the motor. You could even do it twice for each- it won't hurt.

2. You need to have the alternator checked out.

3. Ignition. I've had brand new coils just die going down the road. As mentioned, you could also put a new module in - they are cheap, and easy to change.

4. If you know there is something wrong with the neutral safety switch, fix it right so you can rule that out as being a problem. You could even bypass it for the time being untill you figure out what the real problem is.

5. Get a quality battery. I recommend Interstate for daily driven vehicles.

6. Check for corrosion on you battery terminals.

7. Figure out the alarm... or just remove it- I would.

8. Stop shopping at AUTOZONE, and remember, aftermarket parts can and will fail right out if the box.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
81K5Blazer
The pool guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange77 View Post
81 how could it be the ignition module if the distributor is brand new. Its a high performance Taylor wire distributor.
Sorry about that must have skipped over that part. I had just woke up it was 6 in the morning, lol.
81K5Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Orange77

thx for the help everyone im gonna check out the relay first. if that checks out ill get a new one and see how that works out. the reason im keeping the alarm on is because i park my truck outside and its been broken into 3 times prior to the install of the Viper alarm so its staying on, the set up isn't your average set up its got a lot more then what you can get at best buy and such. plus if they happen to steal it ill get an extra 4 grand from viper because they're system didn't protect my truck from any thefts.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
raiders3581

I second the nuertral safety switch. Next time it doesnt start move the gear shift in and out of gear then back in park or nuetral and try to start again