The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Oil Pan Gasket Problems

Heres the story, i bought the felpro one piece and realy like it but it doesnt fit. It has two holes one on each side for the oil stick. The motor says its a 1976 350. Autozone says thats the only one they carry??? They have a 86 chev caprice that looks like it will fit. Any ideas??

thanks
Vance
Attached Images

VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
RW71

Re: Oil Pan Gasket Problems

The gasket in the pic should fit a 75-85 chevy small block.
RW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
drunkbus

I ordered one from Summit, they have more options and you can research which one you need. These days it seems like they hire anyone at the auto parts stores and they are clueless.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
drunkbus

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...e/?Ns=Rank|Asc

If nothing else I like to at least look through Summit to get the right part number so I can take that with me to the store. It cuts down on the time you spend trying to explain something to the idiot behind the counter.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

cool thanks i did some research and figured it out. Next question. I am trying to put a chrome timing chain cover on. The Balancer seems to be stuck. Any tricks., can you use any small block balancer if i happen to destroy this one??

Thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
396 Stock Longhorn

VanceH, did you have any luck getting the balancer off? If not, the problem you are having is that these things are a very tight fit. My Carquest parts guy describes it as a press-fit. I just ran into this on my truck, and I had to rent a harmonic balancer puller.

You can get one at AutoZone with the loan-a-tool program, but you will need a harmonic balancer installer when it's time to put it back on. They're two different tools. And it shouldn't be too tough to do without destroying the pulley.
396 Stock Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

LOL Now ya tell me!! Yea i got mine off, my father in law said sometime they stick, hit with a torch! Not a good idea, i had quite a bit of presure from the puller and WHAM she blew apart. The rubber in between melted just a little and she came apart. Traded a 6 pack of beverage for a brand new one and we are good to go!!
thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceH View Post
LOL Now ya tell me!! Yea i got mine off, my father in law said sometime they stick, hit with a torch! Not a good idea, i had quite a bit of presure from the puller and WHAM she blew apart. The rubber in between melted just a little and she came apart. Traded a 6 pack of beverage for a brand new one and we are good to go!!
thanks
Not to be a Johny raincloud here... But if you put a torch on that balancer, and it got hot enough to melt the rubber and fracture the balancer. Then I would be very concerned that you melted the front main bearings...

If the motor is out of the truck, then I would pop the front main cap and check it out. Those bearings are soft metal, just a notch above the softness of lead.

A buddy of mine used a torch to heat up the cam oiling journal plugs, and the heat melted the cam bearing enough to melt and close up the oiling holes in them.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote