The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

2000 Z71 A/C compressor shuts off

2000 Z71 A/C is nice and cold and seems to work fine, but after its been on long enough to get comfy, the compressor shuts off (a/c light stays on) I have found that if I roll down the window for a few minutes the compressor comes back online and all is cool
Is there a reason that allowing outside warmer air in would cause the compressor to click back on? I have tried it w/o rollin down the window (just waiting 10 mins or so), but it doesnt come back on. Any ideas whats wrong? No unusual noises from the compressor and all the controlls seem to be working properly. thanks!
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
bwood

Re: 2000 Z71 A/C compressor shuts off

That usually is normal. When the air going over the evaporator (inside coil) gets so cold that the refrig doesn't pick up any heat out of the cab, the low pressure/cycle switch will begin to cycle the compressor. When you open the window the air going over the coil is warms up enough over the evap to transfer some heat to the refrig and will cause the low side pressure to come up and bring the compressor back on. If it has never done this before or is doing it more than normal, you might have the refrig pressures checked to make sure its not low. A low charge will make it cycle more.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
chuckmc8

Thnaks.I will have the pressures checked.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
chuckmc8

I changed the cycling switch and had the pressures verifed. It does seem to work ( compressor stays engaged longer) with the 'fresh' air elected rather than recirc. I also checked the relays and fuses.
There is lots of discussuion online with Google search about similar problems as this on these trucks, but I have yet to read a successful remedy. I'm sure that someone had figured this out...but not me! Any ideas to check next?
It cools fine and all controls seem to work properly. It just runs a while and when the compressor clicks out, it doesnt cycle back on? Thanks!!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Z-71

When the compressor cycles off, does it still cool fine? If so, its totally normal, if it stays on all the time the evaporator will freeze up.

97 Chevy K-1500 Ext. Cab Step Side
Tool box, bed rails
HPP III, K/N, Flowmaster
285 Maxxis Mudders

" If you can't drive the nail, get a bigger hammer" ( translation- Anything can be done with more power)
Z-71 is offline   Reply With Quote