The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
hillytim69

Flexplate wobble!

Well I've run into a problem, I've posted a few times on my progress on my 75 Stepside, sm-465 to Th 350 swap. I put in a 383 turbo 350 combo with a new B&M 2000 converter and the Pioneer flexplate that came with my shortblock. I thought when I bolted the flexplate/converterbolts that there was too much distance between the two. What I've run into now is that it seems maybe the flexplate had to flex too much to reach the converter and now it is warped. I kept hearing a strange noise under there when running and found the flexplate noticeably wobbling. I should've figured this out before when I was trying to install my mini starter and found varying distances from starter gear to flexplate ring gear depending on engine position. So this really sucks. I think I may need to remove the tranny and put shims on the end of the crank before the flexplate. I've never had this happen before when bolting a motor and trans together. Do you guys think it may be due to the aftermarket Eagle crankshaft? Anyhow I really want to get it on the road asap so I can take my boy to the Car Craft Summer Nationals next month in a Chevy, not a Honda... Any ideas or experience on this problem? BTW I did get my shifter (Z-gate) installed.

Last edited by hillytim69; 06-23-2009 at 03:40 AM.
hillytim69 is offline   Reply With Quote