The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
oldrusty

Red face need transmission advice...

Ok, so I got an old truck off craigslist, and had to swap the motor (badly abused/neglected 400sb out, built 85 Corvette 350 in) and now....of course....the transmission has issues that will force a rebuild. It has a TH350, and this truck will be used mainly for hauling 7k lbs of horses/trailer, as well as lots of hay, and maybe even used to pull trees out of the pasture (I will take pictures). The truck is a 1977 K20 Scottsdale, has a flatbed and an upgraded 1-ton dually rear end... eventually I will do a cab swap, but its gotta run before it can look nice!

The 91 Camaro the vette motor came out of has a 700 tranny that has issues also...but since I am going to have something rebuilt I wondered if the 700 can be used with my np203 transfer case? This truck is a learning experience, and I am not a mechanic...thank god for craigslist! I am buying parts and doing lots of reading here and elsewhere, and need some sound advice.

If I can use the 700, what is the best way to do the rebuild? Does the standard B&M transkit have everything I will need? What about a shift kit? Will that really help with a vehicle that is going to focus more on the low end? I will be running on the interstate, but nearly always with the 7k lbs of 'alternative crack habit' hitched to the rear end. (Crack would probably be cheaper than horses....)

If I stay with the TH350, same question. What parts will I need? This transmission seems to have pump issues - it pushes fluid out the dipstick, and with only 1/2 gallon of fluid added after the filter was changed (it looked like it had never been changed before!). It also 'hangs' when you shift into drive...it gets there, but it takes 15 seconds to do it. I will probably need to replace the pump if I rebuild this one?

A list of what I will need in addition to the B&M TransKit (or whatever equivalent y'all suggest) would be helpful...

Thanks to all in advance for letting me pick your brains! I found a guy locally to do the rebuild, I just need to go parts shopping...and y'all know how we women just love to shop, right? I would rather look for shiny truck stuff than shoes...

Speaking of shiny truck stuff, will the front clip/fenders/cab off a '63 fit on my 77 frame with the vetter motor, etc in it?? I know of one for sale, and mine is mostly rust and holes...if that doesnt work, there is a 69 setup around here too....
oldrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: need transmission advice...

the 700 is an overdrive trans and its not really good for towing.. if go for a th400 which is better for towing

the clip from a 63 is different than that of a 77 as is the 69 you need 73-80 they are cheap enough to buy new repros our site vendors sell them

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
JFP Motorsports Div

Stump pulling, towing, hauling ect etc.. TH400!!

Forget about the 700r4, good for Sporty truck n' cars... not good for towing n' haulin.
JFP Motorsports Div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Towing that kind of weight a manual tranny would be best, but an auto will work if that's what you want. I agree that a TH400 would hold up best. A trans cooler is a must, and a temp gauge would be a good idea too.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by old rusty c10 View Post
the 700 is an overdrive trans and its not really good for towing.. If go for a th400 which is better for towing

the clip from a 63 is different than that of a 77 as is the 69 you need 73-80 they are cheap enough to buy new repros our site vendors sell them
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp motorsports div View Post
stump pulling, towing, hauling ect etc.. Th400!!

Forget about the 700r4, good for sporty truck n' cars... Not good for towing n' haulin.
x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
towing that kind of weight a manual tranny would be best, but an auto will work if that's what you want. I agree that a th400 would hold up best. A trans cooler is a must, and a temp gauge would be a good idea too.
x4
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
oldrusty

Talking Re: need transmission advice...

Point taken on the 700...I am such a noob! Still, the more you know, the more dangerous you think you are...

A trans cooler is a complete no brainer....really, guys, goes without saying. Of course I am going to put on a cooler, otherwise I would just embrace stupidity and swap in my Accord's tranny to tow with and wait for the horrible 'transmission eating itself' noise....LOL!

Confession...after the engine swap I did wonder if a sb350 would fit in an Accord...I would need a taller hood, or just cut a hole in it...a real big hole...and new suspension...and better brakes...maybe I will just re-do the camaro and sell the Accord...

I was hoping to go with one of the trannys I already have, and rebuild...but since everyone loves the TH400...craigslist here I come. There is a good price on a rebuilt TH400 from an olds, and I believe its a short tail. Any reason that wont work?

As far as a manual transmission goes, the truck has an auto trans with the shifter on the column...how big a pita is is to convert to manual? I would actually prefer a stick for this application...

Thanks yall!
oldrusty is offline   Reply With Quote