The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
jonathan-m

grrrrr seized bleeders...

Well, I'd planned to replace the rubber hoses on my front disk brakes this past weekend, which only took a few minutes. After I was done with that, I called over a friend to help me bleed the brake lines. I started at the back, where the drum brakes are, and all went fine there, but when I got up to the front disks brakes both the bleeders are completely stuck...
I spent a long while trying to ease them loose with no luck. went and got some PB blaster and let that soak in for hours and still no luck.. they wont even pretend to budge..I'm kinda stumped as to what I should do now...how do I get those suckers out? they look real easy to strip or break, so I was careful not to be to rough on them.. but I gotta bleed those lines somehow.. Any suggestions?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
padresag

Re: grrrrr seized bleeders...

have you rounded off the corners yet. if not first use a 6 point wrench or socket to loosen them and without pressure on the brake pedal from someone's foot. a little heat and perhaps a "little" tap. you may have to ream the bleeder hole afterward
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
GruntMoanCough

Yeah, a little bit of heat would probably work but, IMO you should maybe change the calipers, they're quite reasonable.

BTW, nice truck.

Last edited by GruntMoanCough; 06-24-2009 at 05:55 PM.
GruntMoanCough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
jonathan-m

Thanks.
I had thought about heating them up a bit, but then I had flashbacks of seeing some sort of explosion from a heated brake line part a long time ago. It scared the $h-- out of me way back then, so I through out the heating idea pretty quick even though there's probably not much danger in heating up that bolt. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
jonathan-m

ah this truck must hate me.... I never could get those bleeders lose. So I decided to replace the calipers......I get all the caliper bolts out but one... It is stripped and completely seized in there. PB blaster, heat, hammer0 it won't budge. hahaha
Old 07-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan-m View Post
ah this truck must hate me.... I never could get those bleeders lose. So I decided to replace the calipers......I get all the caliper bolts out but one... It is stripped and completely seized in there. PB blaster, heat, hammer0 it won't budge. hahaha
The trucks might hate us at times, but we love them. That's whay we do what we do. Just refer to your line in your signature. If you get mad at it leave it for a few minutes and come back to it. The madder I get the more I break. Hang in there.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
jonathan-m

Ya, I decided to take a break from it today when I started wondering how much my insurance would pay out for "accidental" fire damage.. haha

I guess what I'll do is drill it out of there, although I'm sure thats gonna be a pain in the rear with those hardened bolts. I was really hoping heating it up would work, but I only have a little propane torch and I don't think it got it hot enough. I Don't really know how else to get the darn thing out.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
blaserman

I had the same thing happen to me several years ago on my Blazer. What I did was go out and buy a "emergency sawzal blade that the fire and rescue use and cut the bolt very close to the backing plate. Removed the cal and then drilled a hole in the bolt just a little smalled then the bolt, went through 8 drill bits, then I used a small chizle and removed the rest of the bolt. I had tried everything to get it out before, but nothing worked. Ran a tap through it when finished to clean out the threads, works great since then. Hope it helps.

Art
Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
alexxwing

ya you will get stuff like this with older trucks its not like a new car that every thing comes of easy i had the same problem with my brothers truck ended up grinding the bold off