The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
gontek

How-to questions

I am a beginner here, have a bunch of noob mechanical questions here, so bear with me and go easy on me. Also assume I have no Idea what I am doing or talking about. I am fighting my tendency here to jury rig my truck and engine support systems with incorrect parts or hardware store pluming, I'd want to do this right, the first time.

1. I replaced my TH-400 transmission fluid dipstick with a new chromed one, I wanted to replace the dipstick tube with my new chrome on but could not get to the bolt that holds it down on the back of the engine. My 70 C-10 has a 350 with AC. I think I could get a 9/16" wrench on it but could not get into a position to leverage the bolt loose. Would I have to remove the hood or the distributor to get better access? If so, that was more than I wanted to do in the heat in my garage Saturday morning. Maybe I just need to try again now that the temperature has dropped and I serviced the important parts of the tranny.

2. I was going to replace my PCV valve, but there is a 90° ell between the PCV valve and the hose. The Ellbow is plastic, when I pulled on the old PCV valve to remove it, it looked like I might pull that ell out of the hose so I stopped. Am I being too delicate and just need to brut force this, or are there tools or tricks I am not aware of? Where could I get that hose/ell to replace them, the hardware store? Id like to just replace the hose, ell, and valve while I am at it.

3. I also need to hook up my radiator overflow, where the hose attaches to the radiator, I am thinking hardware store fittings there.

sorry no photos.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 06-29-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: removed parts request
gontek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Shyguy

Re: How-to questions

Welcome from Southeast Missouri.

You will find this is the best forum for these old trucks. I have been here only a couple of years and have learned a lot from the guys and gals here.

If I were you I would stay away from the hardware store and go to one of the chain auto parts stores. Most of them have a lot of stuff in the "Help Section" that you may need.

I have found I can get a lot of mechanical, suspension and brake stuff from the chain store called O'Reilly's, but if you don't have one near you others probably can help.

The vendors on here are very helpful and will be able to supply you with stuff that you can not get locally.

Good luck with your new project.

Post pictures when you get a chance-we love to check out other's trucks.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
69GMCLonghorn

Hey there! Welcome from hotter-than-the-sun Los Angeles!

1) Can't help you there. I've only had manual trans trucks.

2) There should be nothing special or unique about the PCV. If you break something taking it out, just take the pieces with you to the auto parts store. You'll find a replacement, with an elbow. I found one right on the shelf.

3) When I had my overflow hooked up, I just shoe horned the hose on to the spout on the radiator. It never came off. If yours is too loose, just a get a 50 cent hose clamp and you're done.

Good luck!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
gontek

2. thats what I needed to hear, I'll stay away from the hardware store.

3. I think the hose is too small to fit on the radiator spout. It looks like there was something on the spout that broke off.

I notice you said "when you had yours hooked up". Of all the trucks I've looked at, none of them had the overflow hooked up. Why is this? Any reason not to use the overflow?

Last edited by gontek; 06-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Uwe Blab

First off, welcome from O.P. In what part of this lovely township do you reside?

Quote:
I notice you said "when you had yours hooked up". Of all the trucks I've looked at, none of them had the overflow hooked up. Why is this? Any reason not to use the overflow?
I don't believe overflow canisters were original on these trucks. The radiator just overflows throw the hose near the cap and onto the ground.
Uwe Blab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Uwe Blab is right about no overflow canister.There are a lot of members who have added one.
One of the great answer areas on the site is the FAQ's section.It will give you lots of info and how-to articles written by members.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
ol'blu72

Hey I just want to say welcome to the site. I am new to these trucks too and the guys and gals here are great and will get you through anything you run into.

72 Blazer CST 350/350/205

ol'blu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Please reread the rules before posting a parts request.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
gontek

Sorry, My bad. Dont mean to be difficult, but I'll be darned if I can find the rules anywhere on this site, a link would be helpful. Anyhow, I've paid my dues, may I talk about parts now?

Last edited by gontek; 06-30-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
gontek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
First off, welcome from O.P. In what part of this lovely township do you reside?
Well howdy, I'm right between Corporate Woods and the Sprint Pennitentary! Where you at?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Uwe Blab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gontek View Post
Well howdy, I'm right between Corporate Woods and the Sprint Pennitentary! Where you at?
I'm further south...150th & Metcalf.
Uwe Blab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
BHyatt

Just a suggestion for problem #1. You may try going at the bolt in a completely different direction. The first to try would be from under the truck. Try sliding under the truck from the front and sticking an arm up around the transmission. If you cannot get under the truck use a jack and some good quality jack stands. Secondly, do not be afraid to get off the ground and climb up into the engine compartment to get at things. Sometimes things look different from above or below just be careful and do not be afraid to get dirty.
BHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Ackattack

You might try a ratcheting wrench like a gear wrench

Welcome to the board, I used to live south of OP, at 194th and Metcalf. Good thing for you is LMC is over in Lenexa and they have all kinds of parts for these trucks (although some may be of questionable quality)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote