The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
CockyK5

Question Questions on Quality of Aftermarket Steel Doors, Fenders, etc.

Hi Guys and Gals,

Posted this accidently on truck forum but it really doesn't matter anyways I believe. I'm a noob to posting on the forum. I have restored 3 Chevy K5 Blazers over the past 5 years but never a 70-72. A 72 CST has always been my dream resto and while working out here in CA I have found what appears to be a helluva deal on one. I have pics of the Blazer and there is some rust on outside doors but the frame appears solid and so do floors. Like I said, its an awesome deal, runs well, just want some advice from you senior resto guys. How good is the quality of the aftermarket steel fenders, doors, etc? Who makes the best replacement parts in your honest opinion? I am doing a ground up resto purely for myself, not for resale or show, but want to do a good quality lasting restoration. Any tips? Seen scattered posts about LMC and Classic industries etc. Thanks for any and all help!

Ryan B.

Columbia, SC
CockyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
packers05

Re: Questions on Quality of Aftermarket Steel Doors, Fenders, etc.

I am no senior but from my experience with aftermarket doors is that all I have seen come from overseas mine especially, They are crap as far as fit goes but given the choice of skinning my old ones with import metal or replacing completely new made sense to me plus i got both for 250. I am always going to be looking for good origanals so i can recycle the ones i have now! Taiwan rockers from wes at classic heartbeat fit great as did most of his stuff.
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
CockyK5

I went and personally inspected it about an hour ago. Frame is solid and straight as an arrow. CST trim with original seats but they are in expected condition for age. Rust ate through on both doors on bottom, fenders are intact, rear floor bed appears to have some cancer. My question is, for less than $2k, should I really turn it down? By the way, drives fine and has original motor.

Ryan
CockyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
teamradrz1

I purchased aftermarket doors, fenders inner fenders and cowl hood. The doors were crap I ended up selling them and buying truck doors and had them cut down like they did at the factory and I was very happy with the results. for aftermarket I like goodmark and counterparts. 2K isn't bad if it is in overall good shape with some cancer. I paid $3600 for mine with new motor and rebuilt tranny/transfer case.
teamradrz1 is offline   Reply With Quote