The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
xodruxo

I need help...

Hello everyone out there in chevy town, this is my first time posting even though Ive been on this site for over a year now(sorry)... But I have a 86 chevy k-5, and I go to get the emissions out here in Denver and it keeps coming up high on my CO output, so I get it home and adjust my carb by turning it down and even ran some rubbing alcohol in the gas tank and take it back, and they say its still running rich now not like it was before but its still over the state allowment, it says it has to be below 40 and this time I was at 65 and before that it was 80 something so I can see where it helped but what can I do to get this beast to pass so I can put it on the road? I love the truck and been doing some work on it to get it ready for the winter but if I cant get it to pass, I feel like Im doing this for nothing. Please help....
xodruxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
menace121978

Re: I need help...

here a couple tricks i have used here in cali... 1st set the timing perfect (mines 6*) 2nd they sell some stuff called g2p (guaranteed 2 pass) at napa or autozone. i know it sounds crazy but i swear it works. just pour it in the tank. 3rd replace cat. converter. (this alone will almost always guarantee a pass) 4th lean out the carb as far as you can while still keeping it running(warning: its gonna run like poop and dont dog it just get it to the smog place.)and 5th go in the heat of the day to make sure the cat. is HOT.

you do these things you will pass... ive done and seen some crazy stuff to make the biggest pieces pass out here. were talking 3-400K+ engines running on their last cylinder. good luck man. smog sucks.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
dan76

Fresh plugs always helps.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
xodruxo

Thanx menace I will definately try the autozone gogo juice and timing on it and see what happens, dont know about the cat yet I gotta find one to replace the one I got. And dan I already replaced the plugs before I went but thanx for the advice on that... Ill be on later to show some pics of my baby but I gotta shave some door handles right now....
Old 07-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
menace121978

anytime man... and welcome to the most addictive board around! keep us posted. Dennis

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Just did my 83 this past Mon. and she passed Like menace I use the gTp with a tank of Prem gas,Shell is what I run, a full tuneup is a must,Cap Rotor,Plugs and wires if old, timing, and I spray the carb with Gumout,outside and down the throat and then start the truck and spray the rest of the can down the carb while it's running at high rpm,here in Cali we have to smog every 2 years so I also replace the O2 sensor, and change your oil and air filter, the key is to have the truck HOT so I do a HIGH SPEED run down the highway and go straight to the smog shop,as for the cat I replaced mine with a 3" high flow Magnaflow cat. I've owned my truck new since 83 and she hasn't failed yet
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
xodruxo

Right on Milo I plan on going on wensday wen I get some cash to go and get all the stuff I need like the gtp and get new oil and filter, pray for me guys... Well I know everone likes pickups or mostly everyone has one on here but heres my K-5...
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Nice ride!
Is the PVC working properly? How about the EGR valve?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
xodruxo

You know I didnt think to look at that, (hmmmm). Ill take a look at that also...
Old 07-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
80chevyshortbox

welcome you will love this form it is awsome. also good luck passing smog. i would love to try and help you but i dont know any thing about it. i live in canada and i dont know why but we dont have to do smog test. o ya and the truck looks awsome i love the flat black look.

Last edited by 80chevyshortbox; 07-05-2009 at 08:46 PM.
80chevyshortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
xodruxo

Yeah I figured Id keep it like that for a while and see how it does for me, Ive noticed alot of people looking alot more at the truck since I painted it the flat black, even had a guy come up to me and offer 1500.00 bucks for it and I had to turn him down, Ive been wanting one of these since I was 18.... Chevys are such cake to work on...
Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #12
asphaltburner

Yo! xodruxo!
All the advice I've seen on this thread is perfect! Best of luck! I live in Weld county, and my truck is emissions exempt, but I do the same stuff to keep it running as clean as possible,...we all have to breathe this air!
My daily driver '76 Camaro that I built is also flat black (35,000+ miles now,...nearly ready for a re-paint!). Easy to keep, to keep up, and looks good too!
Nice truck! Todd.
P.S. Welcome, and check the Colorado forum on the "47 - present" home page!

Last edited by asphaltburner; 07-05-2009 at 11:37 PM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
xodruxo

Well thanx Asphalt glad tro meet you, hey can I just come up to weld county and register my baby up there? lol, I plan on hitting it hard on wensday to get this beast on the road, I plan on getting classic plates so I dont have to do this anymore for a couple years also.... I have one question, is my truck still too young to get classic plates on time I heard it was 20 yrs old then I hear its 25yrs???
Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
Prong

It's 25 years. I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit.
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #15
Colesnsty68

I don't think you can get collector plates just yet but once you get em i don't belive you have to go agian unless you change names title wise. Cuz on my camaro we had to de tune tune it to pass and now i think i dont have to have it tested so i can run it like its supposed to and i live in arvada. I need to put plates on my 77 halfton tho. Good luck. hope you pass we need more of em' on the road these days

"And i still like bologna on white bread now and then" -Alan Jackson
Colesnsty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
xodruxo

Damn
Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
asphaltburner

Yeah, I think the collectors' plates are good for five years, but ya gotta pass the first time.
All my stuff is '78 or older. FRANKENTRUCK (1978 3/4 ton 4x4) is non-catalytic, but my '76 Camaro is supposed to have a single cat on it by law,...gee, the two turbo mufflers LOOK like cats!
Todd.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #18
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

1st: Welcome to the board from another local.
2nd: Like was said above, get that sucker HOT! I don't have emissions here either.
3rd: Make friends with an emissions guy.
4th: Do check out the Colorado forum. Great locals on here.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 07-08-2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: 4th
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
xodruxo

Well I was supposed to go today but I got home from work to late so Im gonna have to put it off till Friday but I did get the oil changed, new oil filter and air filter along with buying the gogo juice.... I was just wondering can I palce it in there now I got about 1/4 tank left and was planning to put it on half tank and drive it out den go n get the prem stuff and ride the highway for a while then take it up there but on the bottle it says the tank has to be full, so I was wondering on some intell on this???