The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

Show me your dual exhaust!!!

hey yall, im looking for pics, specs, costs, and sounds of dual exhaust for our trucks, i want to do true duals, straights, with 3.5 or 4 inch tips coming out in front of the rear tires, does anyone have this? how do you like it if so? please feel free to post any exhaust pic you have, as im open for all suggestions!
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
69GMCLonghorn

Re: Show me your dual exhaust!!!

3 1/2 to 4" dual exhaust? WAY overkill even if you're running a big block... If you're running super high HP, maybe 3" dual. Most will run 2" to maybe 2 1/2" dual and it's perfect. If you go too much bigger than what you need, you can actually lose power and it will sound like my a** after a carne asada burrito...

In terms of mufflers, it's personal choice. Flowmasters are very identifiable and sound good on just about anything. But I've grown to really love the MagnaFlow's that I installed. Plus, I'm told the MagnaFlows are made better, but who knows... I'm running 2 1/2" dual with an H-pipe. I probably have 350 HP and it's got NO back pressure problems. It is smooth and reasonable, until I give it some gas, then you hear it really well!

Get out to a couple of cruise nights in your area. When you hear a chevy powered (whatever) come in and you like the sound of it, talk wit the owner and see what they're running... I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you go with. Besides glass packs, I haven't heard too many BAD sounding V-8's...

EDIT: I think you meant the TIPS would be 3-4". That's cool. Just not the whole exhaust. Sorry I'm a little slow in the comprehension department today!

Last edited by 69GMCLonghorn; 07-06-2009 at 05:22 PM.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

hahaha yeah thats what i meant, itll be 2 1/4 exhaust pipe, then the tips, and i would like to have a straight piped, gnarly, farm truck sound, as im from the country and like it LOUD! as for a stock 1970 chevy 350, how will it sound? IMO, different years and designs sound different, right now, i just took the muffler off, so its a single pipe, and it sounds kinda goofy, but i think its because of the tiny, restictive pipe... any other suggestions?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
QKENUF4U

youve got it right. use what the engine needs BEFORE the muffler and then you can run whatever you want AFTER the muffler. (hot rod did a article on this) ill keep my opinoin to myself about straight pipe and how it sounds...

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 07-06-2009 at 06:14 PM.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Dark Knight

I'm from the country too and I also like to have my stuff loud. I had my little I6 straight-piped for a while. It sounded MEAN. Don't put a glass pack on it though. It sounds kinda like a diesel. My future plans include: dual outlet header, 2.5'' pipe, 2 3-chamber Flowmasters, cutouts, and echo tips exiting at the bumper.
-And a '66 Ford Mustang- 200 I6, C4 trans, rust bucket

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -FDR (and maybe rust too)

You've gotta be able to stop and steer before you can go fast!
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
69GMCLonghorn

If you like it loud, I still think the best sound is 2 1/2 (or 2 1/4) dual exhaust with a couple of 2 chamber Flowmasters. Out of the Flowmasters, just do turndowns in front of the rear axle. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and LOVED it! When you open that sucker up, you and everyone around you will know it!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

sorry but i dont care for the flowmaster sound, its not loud enough, ive been there, done it, i lost my t-shirt, then came back, to straights or glasspacks lol, sorry, wasnt making fun, just simply dont care for the deep low sound, i prefer a loudass crackle and bark of straights!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
70Custom10Nut

I like the way you think! The HOTROD look of exhaust Tips coming out in front of the rear wheels is the Bomb! I haven't figured out how to post pix but I can tell you about my exhaust set up. I have shorty headers into 2 1/2 in pipe. I have an H-pipe that crosses right behind the trans pan, then I kicked the pipe to the outside of the frame and along the outside of the frame. Right now I have the Summit shorty Turbos that then turn out to 2 inches in front of the rear wheel well on each side. In the very near future I will be going to the Summit Shorty Glasspacks, mainly because it seems, in my opinion, the mufflers of today are designed for cat-back systems (in which the Cat is a "first muffler") and I reeeeally like the sound of a good old fashioned straight-through Glasspack. Of course this is just an old gear-head's opinion, but I hope it helps.Cnut
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

you are my new hero for the day! lol please post some pics if you can!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayharville View Post
sorry but i dont care for the flowmaster sound, its not loud enough, ive been there, done it, i lost my t-shirt, then came back, to straights or glasspacks lol, sorry, wasnt making fun, just simply dont care for the deep low sound, i prefer a loudass crackle and bark of straights!
Truth be known, I have jumped ship on Flowmaster after many long years of devotion. I drive mine around town a lot so I've got fairly quiet exhaust. I'm running dual 2 1/2" with the longer MagnaFlow's. I keep wanting to make it louder but the wife keeps talking me out of it. I just want to have the turnouts in front of the rear wheels with the same mufflers. Maybe someday.

There's a way to post video clips with sound on here. Once you have it done, figure out how to do this and let the rest of us hear whatever you end up doing...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

will do! i called my favorite exhaust shop today, he said he would do 2 1/4 true duals, out the side, with no tips for 100 bucks even!!! and it would be another 50 bucks for the 3.5 by 18 inch tips, i think its a very great price!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
vectorit
What?

Just chiming in here on this topic, on everyone diggin the sound of an obnoxious system in a DD.

For most of my burbs life it had headers, and turbo style muffs exiting in front of the rear wheels. Around town your rig sounds bad @ss, but take her out on the open road for hours at a time and you will grow to hate it.

I grew up listening to this on long over the road trips with the family, and not only did the exhaust make noise the transmission howeled like the devil. Mix this in with a small block pullin a constant higher RPM, due to a 4.10 gear in the rear while pulling a travel trailer. Believe me everyone either had a headache or was just plain tuckered out from the noise. So, to get to my point on this one. Think about the long drives you may do in your loud truck.

But if your just doin putts around town that brings up another point...

Around here cities have cracked down on loud pipes, whether from a car or a motorcycle.

My Harley is loud and pops and crackles which I like, but my eyes are always open for the po po. Since getting a fix it ticket is a drag, and they know it so they enforce it. Cost of the ticket, cost of putting back on a OEM system, court costs, and just the sheer PITA this causes.
I have a few LEO buds, and they say they care less wether its a car/truck or a bike. If it's loud, they are pullin you over. Once they get you on the side of the road, they check it out with a meter if there is any "discussion". Either way who wants that hassle?

For my long rides I wear ear plugs, and I don't mind since it's a good thing to be loud on a scooter. But, that's a whole other discussion...

Being that you live in a more wide open place, this may be a non issue but it will get the attention from the man. Which, in the end isn't a good thing.

Just my .02 on this subject.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #13
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

there isnt even a cop in my town, so im not worred about the noise, it wont be taken on long trips, even then, i like the noise, my daily driver new body style chevy has an 18 inch glasspack, thats turned around backwards, so basically its straight piped, maybe one day ill quiten it down, but for now, ill enjoy having a super loud truck,while im young, and still can! lol